Sunday, September 20, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - CAROLYN MACKIN



Lourve-Rivoli metro station, Paris, France- petite fine art print- 7.778 x 3.5in

by Carolyn Mackin


WELCOME, Carolyn Mackin and her fairly new Etsy shop (April, 2009), called CAROLYN MACKIN.  Carolyn is a fine art photographer, and has a wide variety of prints listed in her shop.  Be sure to pay a visit to Carolyn's shop....you just might find that perfect scene to hang in your home or office.

First, let's learn a bit more about Carolyn by reading her interview below.  I always find it fascinating to learn why someone chose the "medium of expression" that they did.

SPECIAL OFFER:  Carolyn Mackin is offering free shipping to anyone who places an order during the month of September or October 2009 and adds the message "fantasy" at checkout.



What led you to start creating your art/craft?

Just before my third birthday, I spent two weeks decorating the goody bags, tablecloth, and party hats for my party, and I have been creating ever since. Creating images of beauty that resonate emotionally and spiritually and then sharing those pieces with others gives me extreme pleasure and a sense of fulfillment.


Australia, Embracing Couple, 2001)- petite fine art print- 8 x 3.5in

by Carolyn Mackin

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?


I have always loved to create objects and experimented with many mediums. A photography workshop I took at a local art museum while in high school secured my passion for the medium. The click of the camera's shutter, watching prints magically emerge from light sensitive paper, and then the control and infinite possibilities I found with digital imaging all made photography very appealing to me.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?


Sharing it with others and receiving feedback gives me immense pleasure. I love honest critiques and feedback and the wonderful dialogue it can produce.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?


Very interesting question! A blueberry because they are beautiful on the outside, but have a full depth of flavor and nutrients.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?


Oh- choosing just one is impossible! I love to hand paint on my images, and I love paintings in general. However, I find the blank white canvas daunting and so starting with a photographic image works best for me. I have also worked with video and installation art. I find the combination very powerful, however it can be expensive and time consuming.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?


I like to convey many different messages in my work, depending on the series I am working on. I take the time to write an artist statement about each portfolio so that the viewer can get a glimpse of what my intention was.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?


Create from your unique perspective. Tell a visual story in each piece that is true to who you are. Work that has a different perspective and authenticity to it will always stand out as superior for me.


THANKS, Carolyn for sharing your great photography with everyone.  It must have been fun to visit those places and to capture them with your photographic eye.
 
To learn more about Carolyn and her work, be sure to visit her links below.


1 comment:

Joy De Vivre Design said...

I love Carolyn's Metro print. I have always thought the Parisian Metro signs are so pretty and she captured them beautifully!