Tuesday, September 1, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - JEWELS OF INDIA

Swarovski and Silver Maharani of Mewar Statement Necklace- India inspired
CLICK on above necklace to learn more about it!


Jaipur in Rajasthan also known as the Pink City, is renowned for its colossal forts and palaces which were constructed of stones with subtle pink accents. On my visit to one such fort, I was taken aback by the majesty of the walls. I stared at them longingly, wishing I could take a part of it back with me.

I'm happy to have this talented jewelry artist, JEWELS OF INDIA, here on DZFANTASY as a featured shop. After learning a bit more about her by reading the interview below, be sure to stop in JEWELS OF INDIA, to see her beautiful designs.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

Being an avid fashion follower I realized that the importance of accessories in making or breaking an outfit has reached astronomical levels. So, I decided to try my hand at creating accessories that would "make" any outfit, and hence was born Jewels of India. Being the crafty kind, I took some jewelery-making and sewing courses during my college break and started fashioning bags, scarves and various jewelery pieces.

Sadly, my daily schedule as a law student doesn't allow me to afford the luxury of indulging in my craft on an everyday basis. This shop is my indulgence. It is my way of staying connected to something I feel very strongly about. It is my way of saying that no matter where life takes me fashion will come along with me.


How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

Well, I could go on and on about how I always knew this was my true calling and stuff. But frankly, it all started as a means to create accessories that I could actually use myself. Being a huge fashion addict, I love to accessorise my outfit with statement necklaces, chunky bangles and vibrant earrings. I decided to take a jewelry-making course so that I could make pieces for myself. Later on I realized that I loved creating things for my friends and family and they appreciated my silver handy-work as well. That's when I decided to start selling my handmade sterling silver pieces on Etsy.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

I enjoy every moment in the process of creating my jewelry pieces. But, my favorite part remains the designing phase where I sketch the piece on paper initially and then I create a true-to-size final sketch. This is the part where I can let my imagination run wild, dreaming that I am designing for the wedding of an Indian princess or for the red-carpet appearance of a Hollywood diva!
I also love scrounging for stones, beads or crystals to use and then deciding which color would go with which design. Even though the construction phase can be a bit daunting and tiring, the final product which emerges after the hard work is so worth it. I really put a lot of thought and effort into designing and kinda fall in love with every piece on the way.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

MANGO, called the 'king of fruits' in India would perfectly reflect my shop and its aesthetics. It's sweet with a bit of sassy. Jewels of India is too. Its vibrant colorful and fun. It's so juicy that you will always want more. Jewels of India is so colorful that you will always want more. But, most of all, they both never disappoint!

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

Sketching and Painting without a second thought. I always maintain that sketching/painting and illustration is my very first love and every thing else I do is just a reflection of this love. Jewelry making stems from my love of creating things that are aesthetically pleasing. Why did I not start a painting or illustration/ACEO store?... you may ask. Practically speaking, a jewelry store is more viable than an art store, that's why.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

In these treacherous times full of war, poverty, natural disasters, recession, pandemics etc. our world desperately needs beautiful things that would distract us from all this and make us feel good. We need things full of optimism that will reinstate our faith in the human race, and beauty can be one of our most powerful weapons. My message?...it's simple " All of us should go about making beautiful things or rather making the world more beautiful looking toward the future with hope in our eyes and a silent prayer in our hearts."

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

I am hardly the one to give any advice. I would still like to say that the sellers should not under-estimate their customers. Please treat them with respect and reverence and you will see how they keep coming back to you again and again. Please reply to your convos, and don't treat Etsy like a market where you come only to sell your goods. Etsy is so much more than that. It's a place where the buyers and sellers interact on a personal basis and so networking and making friends on Etsy is very essential. You will also see that it makes your Etsy-life and business more enjoyable!

Rani Padmini Turquoise Swarovski Earrings - gold finish

CLICK ON EARRINGS TO LEARN MORE!

This opulent and unique piece made of bright turquoise Swarovski crystals and beads has been made deriving inspiration from the lavish life of Rani Padmini, queen of Chittor and the wife of King Rawal Ratan Singh. Her story has been immortalized in Padmavat, an epic poem written by Malik Muhammad Jayasi in the year 1540. Legend has it that she was the most beautiful woman of her times, and her husband would pamper her with exorbitant jewels from various nooks and corners of India.



Thanks, JEWELS OF INDIA, for a truly delightful interview and for expressing your thoughts and ideas so wonderfully. May you continue to be able to find time to design and create your beautiful jewelry! To learn more about this talented jewelry artist, be sure to visit the links below.










LIVE,BREATH, DREAM ETSY BLOG

CALL ME "STYLISTA" BLOGTWITTER

No comments: