Saturday, September 26, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - THE JOYS OF JESS



Pink Birdie on a Branch - Hand Embroidery
by Jess


Let's welcome Jess, and her Etsy shop, THE JOYS OF JESS.  After learning a bit more about Jess and her creativity, by reading her interview below, be sure to pay a visit to her shop to see what she has to offer.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?


I used to crochet, but found that I was frustrated with how long things took to make. I was also frustrated with the cost of nice yarn! I was puttering around Michael's one day and saw a book called "The Impatient Embroiderer" and thought "Now THAT is for me." I picked up some hoops, fabric, and floss and that was that.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

Trial and error! I've tried everything. Painting, quilting, sewing clothing, crochet, knitting, mosaics. You name it, I gave it a whirl. Embroidery is the one that has stuck so far.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

When I finish a piece. I'm all about the end product. If I finish something and I'm proud of it, I just feel awesome.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

This question cracks me up! I would probably pick a cucumber. I love cucumbers, much like I love embroidery. Growing cucumbers is a quick process, much like embroidery (compared to other crafts I've tried!). Now I am missing our cucumber plant!



A Field of Scribble Flowers by Jess


If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?


I honestly don't know! I'm very burnt out on crochet, because I did that for years. Knitting is too slow. I do teach preschool and I think my creativity comes out there in planning lessons and art projects.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

I just want to create items to warm your home. I grew up with crossstitch on the walls and it always seemed homey to me.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Keep trying! If one type of craft isn't working out for you, try another one! There's something out there for everyone. And if you love what you do, it'll show in your work, and there's nothing better than that.

Thanks, Jess, for a delightful interview and for sharing your creativity with everyone.

To learn more about Jess, click on any of the links below.



No comments: