Wednesday, September 16, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - LITTLE MISS DESIGNS




WELCOME, Megan and her Etsy shop, "Little Miss Designs"!  When you pay a visit to Megan's shop you will find bright, colorful, handmade hair clips, purse tags, and more.
Let's find out a little bit about Megan and how she got started on her "creating" adventure!


What led you to start creating your art/craft?

My 8-month old daughter! Before she was even born I started shopping around for cute hair accessories. I couldn’t find exactly what I knew I wanted, so I decided to try my hand at making them … and voila!

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

I liked the look of felt since it easily keeps its shape. And the fact that it doesn’t fray or unravel is a huge plus!

Felt and Corduroy Hair Clips Trio


What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

I love that what I do doesn’t take me away from my family. My “shop” is set up in our house and I have everything in a common area where my daughter can be playing and my husband can be watching TV. And even when there is down time and orders aren’t coming in, I continue to make items for the pure enjoyment of making them – it relaxes me.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

Cute question! I would choose a head of lettuce! On the surface it seems that it “is what it is”. But as you pull back the layers, you see different textures and colors and it almost takes a completely different shape. With my craft, I started off doing different variations and colors of basically the same thing – a flower shaped hair clip. While that was fabulous, I wanted to start pulling back the layers and challenging myself to see what other ‘shape’ my business could take on. I wanted to continue with the children’s line, but also start thinking about what I could offer MOMS, so that I would appeal to different age groups. Now I offer clip organizers and bag tags … and some new cute, different things soon to come!

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

I’ve actually never considered myself all that creative, so I’ve even surprised myself through this journey! But if I had to choose another medium, it would probably be crochet. I love to crochet, but would certainly have to practice, practice, practice before showing my work to anyone outside of my family! Ha!

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

I am not sure what message I want to convey with my craft, but I know the message that I want to convey through my craft. 10% of all of my sales are given back to my church. My day job has never given me the satisfaction of “giving back” that I have desperately wanted for so long. My craft is affording me the opportunity to finally feel like I am making a difference for others.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Take the risk and put yourself out there. I still need a confidence boost every now and again, but the best thing I ever did was just “go for it”.

Thanks, Megan, for not only sharing your delightful, colorful work with all of us, but for a great interview!

If you'd like to learn more about Megan and her "Little Miss Designs", be sure to visit the links below.

LITTLE MISS DESIGNS FACEBOOK FAN PAGE

No comments: