Monday, February 8, 2010

FEATUARED ETSY SHOP - AMANDA'S ANGELS by Amanda Mae Calta


Peace Angel

by Amanda Mae Calta

("This is my favorite angel, mainly because of who and why I made this one for. She was designed for a couple whose two year old daughter died. I'm hoping that this angel will be a gentle reminder of their daughter and give them comfort to know they will see her again.")


WELCOME, Amanda and her Etsy shop AMANDA'S ANGELS.  When you pay a visit to Amanda's shop you will find delightful little angels that will make you smile!  Angels are everywhere.....some we can see and know as family and friends, while others are "unseen" watching over us.  Amanda's little angels make a beautiful, thoughtful gift idea, and as she states in her shop's title...."everyone needs an angel"!

Read Amanda's interview below to see how she got started in creating her angels.

What led you to start creating your art/craft.

I've always enjoyed creating things. These angels started because I needed an angel for the top of my Christmas tree. I couldn't find anything in the stores and decided to make one for myself, that was about 8 years ago. Sometime last year, I was looking for something to keep me busy (I'm a stay at home mom) and thought I could recreate my angels for other purposes. I wanted to make them for decor for a little girl's bedroom.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

I thought wood would be the best medium to stand the test of time. I remember growing up and always having the same angel on the top of our Christmas tree. I wanted the same tradition for my children. I also love to build things.

PEACOCK ANGEL

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

I find it most enjoyable to see how my children react to the angels that I make. I like the lessons that I am teaching them by what I do. I also love the time to myself to just be creative. I love to wander through the craft stores and look at products to see if I can incorporate them into my products.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

I’m not good at this game. I’ll say an apple. My designs are simple, they are classic just like an apple. A simple beauty!

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

I have been wanting to learn to crochet. Someday it will work out to take the class to learn.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

I just want to convey peace and reassurance through my angels. When my first husband passed away, I felt drawn to angels. I had pictures taken of my oldest son in an angel costume and found peace and happiness through those pictures. We will always go through tough times. I hope to give reassurance and peace to those who look at my angels.


What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Find a product that you love to create and keep making them. There are going to be moments of frustration, but keep moving forward.

Thanks, Amanda, for a lovely interview and for sharing your little angels with everyone. Keep on making your angels!


Visit AMANDA'S ANGELS by clicking on the photos or shop link below. I'm sure you know someone who would love to have a little keepsake angel.



No comments: