Friday, February 19, 2010

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - MegnificentCo

Cowl Neckwarmer Scarf, Pink and Brown, The Betty Muff

by MegnificentCo


I'm happy to have Meghan and her Etsy shop, MegnificentCo here on DZFANTASY as a featured Etsy shop.  Pay a visit to Meghan's shop and you will find a beautiful variety of handknit or crocheted scarves, neck warmers and more!

First, take a moment to learn a bit more about Meghan and her creations by reading her interview below.


What led you to start creating your art/craft?

I have a long list of things I want to learn how to do, and knitting and crocheting were high on that list. So, I enrolled in a continuing education class at a local college with my mom, and we sort of learned the basics. The rest I had to teach myself. But, my grandmother is my ultimate inspiration. She could knit and crochet effortlessly, and that really led me to purse this craft.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

I like all different types of yarn, but I particularly enjoy working with colorful, super-bulky yarn. I think it’s fun to look at, adds a pop of color to any outfit, and is just so soft and lush.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

I love purchasing the material (read: I love shopping) and figuring out what I want to make next. My mind is always racing ahead of me to the finished project, figuring out what I can do next. I also like the methodical rhythm of certain stitches, when I’m in a knitting/crocheting groove. It is therapeutic and soothing. I love watching a skein of yarn become a delicious piece of eye candy!

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

I would have to say a fruit. The colors involved are vibrant and eye-catching, the material involves a wide-range of textures, the process has both sweet and sour moments, and the end result is satisfying and healthy (it’s good to keep warm, right?).

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

I would choose to make soap. I love cooking and all kitchen-related aspects. From what I’ve read, there are a lot of aspects to soap-making that involve standard cooking techniques. I love how a scent can affect your mood. I also am very attracted to the packaging process of soap making.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

To use your accessories as a chance to be playful, take risks, or add a pop of color. I tend to have a standard “uniform” of clothing and colors I always gravitate towards, and I think a lot of people are like that. Incorporating a unique accessory does not require a huge commitment or investment, and it adds a lot to an outfit without changing your overall look or identity.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

If you feel discouraged, start making a new item. I find that as long as I keep busy, I feel proactive. Always look for ways to improve your craft/art.

Meghan, thanks for giving us a peek into your thoughts and creativity! 

To learn more about Megan, click on her links below.

No comments: