Friday, February 12, 2010

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - BRIOLE PHOTOGRAPHY

STORMY SAILS
8x10 Fine Art Photograph
Beautiful sailboat at anchor off the small British Virgin Island of Jost Van Dyke

by BRIOLE PHOTOGRAPHY

Heather of BRIOLE PHOTOGRAPHY on Etsy has some very stunning and beautiful photography in her shop.  Scenes of nature and beautiful scenes from the Caribbean, and more.  Be sure to stop by for a visit!  First, let's read Heather's interview below to see what her thoughts are regarding her art.

What led you to start creating your art/craft:


I took a photography class in high school which started my interest in the subject, but it really began with the purchase of my first digital camera in college. I love looking at the world through the perspective of a camera lens. It makes me slow down and savor the moment and see the beauty in the unexpected. A photograph captures a moment in time that would otherwise be forgotten...and for that, I am forever grateful.

 How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

For me it wasn't so much a conscious decision that I choose this medium, rather it was a passion that found its way to me. It wasn't something that I said in advance, I am going to go out and learn photography and this is what I want to do...once I started experimenting with photography, it was a feeling of coming home and now I couldn't imagine my life without it.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

The joy of taking a picture that at first glance would be something that someone wouldn't consider worthy of taking a second glance at. But once captured, it becomes something beautiful that someone would want to hang on their wall and look at time and time again.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

This is a great question! I would say a red bell pepper...it captures your attention at first glance, and upon further examination, it has a depth and complexity of flavor that is hard to beat and it is very colorful and joyful to look at.

PRETTY IN PINK - 8 x 10 Fine Art Photography
by Heather


If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

I do have a second creative outlet which is quilting. I am a fifth generation quilter and love the process of combining different fabrics into a piece of art that serves two functions, both being a piece of art and something warm to snuggle with on a cold winter day.


PEACE HILL - 8 X 10 Fine Art Photography
by Heather
This photo is of a solitary sugar mill ruin, which sits atop Peace Hill watching over the island of St. John, in the US Virgin Islands.


What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

That beauty can be found everywhere. You just have to slow down and appreciate it!

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Find your own artistic expression and point of view. It is easy to fall into the trap of trying to emulate what is popular at the moment or what others who also share your medium are selling. Be true to yourself and your artistic vision will resonate with others because it is a true expression of something you believe in.

Heather, your work is wonderful!  Thanks so much for taking the time to not only share your photography with everyone, but for also sharing your thoughts with us.
 
To see and learn more about Heather and her work, be sure to visit her links below.
 

No comments: