Sunday, February 21, 2010

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - ARIANWEN'S PLACE

Carassius Auratus Necklace

A red agate goldfish breathes silver-plated stardust bubbles into the deep blue and green waters of aegean beads and dark aventurine chips. As it swims to the surface, the water lightens to clear crystal and pale aventurine


The beautiful necklace above is just one of the many delightful creations you will find when you a pay a visit to ARIANWEN'S PLACE on Etsy.  Freya is the artist behind these creations.  You will be able to choose from a selection of earrings, necklaces bracelets and more.

Let's learn a bit more about Freya and how she started on her creative venture.
What led you to start creating your art/craft?


My mum has always been very crafty, and I've always made jewellery and adjusted/made clothing for myself. I discovered Etsy a couple of years ago, made an account and did a lot of browsing... then when I accidentally wiped my laptop's hard drive I forgot all about it! Last summer I rediscovered Etsy, and as I had little else to do over the summer months (I'm a student, and I only have a part-time job) I decided to find out whether anyone would buy what I had to sell. As I love crafting, it's much more of a hobby than a serious business.


How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?


Well, I had two options - buy a sewing machine or dig through my mother's old jewellery crafting materials and see what I could find. I chose the latter, and have been making jewellery ever since. I do have the odd hand-stitched item in my shop, as I haven't given up sewing completely, but jewellery is... probably more fun.


What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?


Oooh, choosing the colours! Picking which beads I want to use, lining them up next to each other, finding shades and tones that match - and if not, buying more beads that do! I have both a GCSE and an A-Level in Art & Design, and working with colour is the most fun of all I find.

Autumn Hedgerow Charm Bracelet

Various autumny-coloured gemstones - jasper, goldstone, carnelian, tiger's eye and amazonite to name just a few - share space with metal charms and glass beads all following the same theme. The metal charms include oak leaves, ivy leaves, toadstools, butterflies, dragonflies, a sun and a large heart decorated with leaves. This is a bracelet of greens and browns, with the occasional dash of red - glass ladybirds, a large toadstool and a polymer clay strawberry. This bracelet is thematic and beautiful.


If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?


Hrmm... probably a pomegranate. Full of little seeds, which could be seen as seeds of creativity, and that gorgeous shade of almost pinky-red, bright and eye-catching.


If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?


I really enjoy knitting, and am looking at branching out into textile art using knitted fabrics.


What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?


Probably that everyone can make beautiful things if they put their minds to it.


What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?


Do what you enjoy and enjoy it to the full extent it can be enjoyed. When it becomes forced or feels wrong, that's probably time to stop and start trying a different technique and method. At the same time, perseverance is key. Try finding a balance between the two - but it's important that it's always fun!

Freya, thanks so much for taking the time to share your lovely, lovely creations, and thoughts with all of us. Beautiful work!

 
To see and learn more about Freya and her creations, be sure to visit the links below.
 

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Great interview! Off to check out her shop :)