Tuesday, February 16, 2010

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - EMBELLISHED...embrace being unique

WENTZ STUDDED NECKTIE

by Jessica of EMBELLISHED

WELCOME, Jessica and her Etsy shop EMBELLISHED!  If you like to stand out from the crowd and show your uniqueness....be sure to pay a visit to EMBELLISHED to find that perfect accent for any outfit!  You will find ties, hair accents, head bands and more.

Take a moment to learn a bit more about the artist behind this creativity, by reading Jessica's interview below.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

I have always been crafty since I was a child. As a creative person I always needed some form of a creative outlet, something to do with my hands. Last year I lost my job due to a corporate layoff from the economy, I had already been playing around with the idea of an Etsy shop. That weekend I went to the fabric store, stocked up and got to work: sewing, graphic designing, photography; you are a one woman show when you own your own shop!

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?


I have wanted to work in fashion since I was 12 years old. So "What to make" was never I question, I knew it would be fabric related. I decided to start off on a smaller scale with headbands and neckties and built the brand so that I can expand when I feel my seamstress skills are up to par.


Swift Cluster Hairclip

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

Hmm..the process of taking an idea in my head and watching it come to fruition. I am influenced by so many things in life, and to be able to draw from all of them and create something unique to put out into the world is really fulfilling.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?


Kiwi! Because they are more unique, and like my brand they are sweet with a tangy rock and roll side. Not to mention they are pretty colored and hail from a warm place!

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?


I am actually in that process currently! Because of my shop, I have really fallen in love with photography this last year. I bought my own professional camera late last summer and have been clicking my life away. I get so much feedback on how my consumers love my photos, on my shop and my blog, and have decided to expand Embellished with a photography section. What better to add to a brand than the very thing that provoked its inspiration, right?!


What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?


Embrace being unique! One of my favorite things about people is how different we all are! I love seeing how different customers add their own spice to my products, it gives them new life that I could never have imagined. A product isn't complete until the customer adds their own spice. I truly believe that every person has their own beauty and they need to embrace it. I love having an opportunity to aid in that philosophy in some way.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Never give up on something that you love! Anytime you work with customers, it is an unstable environment because you are dependant on their life situation just as much as your own...case in point the recent recession. You may feel like your shop is not going somewhere so take a step back, breathe, and see what you have NOT tried yet. My best advice would be to Be Active on the Etsy Forums. It is such a supportive community, and full of sellers who take the time to give you any advice you are looking for, and its a great way to become an involved part of you shop's home.

Thanks, Jessica, for taking the time to share your thoughts and "unique" creative accents with everyone!  I totally agree...we are all unique and we shouldn't be afraid to show our uniqueness!  Your fun creations give people this opportunity!

To learn more about EMBELLISHED, be sure to pay a visit to Jessica's links below.

No comments: