Wednesday, February 24, 2010

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - HALLIE OF HALPAL28

The Belmont Hat (Espresso / Chartreuse / Sky)

by Hallie

WELCOME, Hallie of HALPAL28 on Etsy. Be sure to take time to visit this delightful artist's shop, where you will find her handknit creations. 

Let's learn a bit more about Hallie by reading her fun interview below.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

I was bored! I started knitting in college, and my course load wasn’t very challenging. I needed something to occupy my hands so that I wouldn't sit and eat cookies all day. I ended up loving it.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

It wasn’t really a conscious decision. I’ve always loved crafted, but knitting just stuck a lot longer than anything else.


The Hawthorne Headband (Taupe / Marigold)

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

I love picking out the colors and imagining designs in my head. Then, of course it’s fun when they come to life. Starting and ending a project is the most exciting part. There’s a sizable lull in between, but I find it relaxing.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

I’m tempted to say artichoke, because that’s my favorite food, but I think I’ll have to go with a peach. It’s soft and fuzzy, just like my creations, and it’s a real attention-getter. Whenever I eat a peach in public, people say, “Ooh! A Peach!” Customers often write me that their hats get them a lot of attention, which I think is fun.

The Toddler Oakdale Hat (Any Color Combination)

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

I love putting together outfits. I’m not a very good clothing designer, but I am an expert ‘layerer.’ I’d love to be a stylist or something similar. You can usually find me in either a simple jeans/tee-shirt combo, or covered in half of the pieces in my closet. It’s a good way to gauge how awake I was in the morning—just count the number of items I’m wearing. Right now it’s 7, so I was pretty energetic, but still a bit groggy.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

Fearlessness and self-expression. Women should wear what makes them feel like themselves. It’s exciting to take risks with your wardrobe, and to be a little nervous when you walk out the door. I wear things sometimes that I know not very many people appreciate, but if they make me happy, it’s still fun. I have this hat with a big brooch and a veil over it, and it usually gets gawked at, but every once in a while someone will say, “I love your hat, and good for you for wearing what you want!” I think the color combinations in my shop are a bit edgy, yet so feminine. They’re impossible to ignore, so you have to be confident!

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Don’t sacrifice your style to please others. If you have a wild product, don’t tone it down to make more sales. You just need to find your niche. On Etsy, there is a product for every customer, and a customer for every product. I often hear, “Is this too weird to sell?” No! You just have to wait for the ‘weirdos’ to find you.

Thanks, Hallie, for a fun interview!  You have a great way of expressing yourself, not only in your words, but in your delightful knit creations.

To see more of Hallie's handknit creations, visit her Etsy shop below.

2 comments:

DeeCee said...

Fantastic interveiw and awesome shop. Thank you for posting Hallie on your blog.

Hallie said...

thanks again! i'm super excited to be featured :)