Monday, April 6, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - HJM ART GALLERY by HELEN JONOW MIQUEO

Huge Original Landscape Red Poppies Painting - Night California Poppies
by
Helen Jonow Miqueo

"This painting is for your soul! Freshness and eternal freedom of this artwork will inspire you and make your walls truly alive!"

Helen is definitely an inspired artist with her colorful, abstract paintings! They will truly make a wall come alive, as she states in her description above! I'm very happy to have Helen and her wonderful artwork out here on DZFANTASY as a featured artist. Be sure to pay HJM ART GALLERY on Etsy a visit. First, lets learn a bit more about Helen and her creative talent.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

I can say that I have been painting since I was born. As long as I remember, I have been creating something. Creativity was always in my family. My grandfather wanted to be an artist, but World War II interrupted his dreams. My grandmother was an incredibly talented woman who created very beautiful, intricate embroidery and crochet-work. My mother is an architect. Following in my family’s steps, I am also an artist.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

Over the years I have been trying and experimenting with many different mediums and techniques: oil, tempera, gouache, acrylics… I settled on acrylics. I create my pouring paintings by mixing acrylic paint with water and pouring the mixture onto the canvas, creating free-flowing shapes and forms. This technique requires a lot of flexibility from a painting medium and acrylics are just perfect for it. The main advantage of acrylics is that they are water-based and can be used as watercolors or as an opaque medium. Drying time is excellent as well as their tolerance for correction.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

I love it all: from mixing the paint to the final touch ups.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

Interesting question. It would definitely be a multi-layered fruit with many different hidden elements. When the paint mixes, it creates many different shapes, shades and forms. Every time one looks at the painting, something new is discovered. So, the first thing that comes to mind would be a pomegranate.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

I think it would be photography. I took a photography class in college and was fascinated with the ability of light to capture, convey and preserve for eternity the fleeting moments of life.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

My art doesn’t have a specific message, but it has a meaning. The meaning of my art is my imagination, and through imagination people can connect with each other on a different kind of level. I also hope that people enjoy my art as much as I have enjoyed creating it.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Never give up! Art is a tough business with a lot of competition. It is so easy to get discouraged and give up. No matter what others say or advise you to do, believe in yourself and stay the course.

Helen, great art and advice! I don't know how anyone could look at your colorful, imaginative paintings and not see "joy" in them. They are wonderful! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and creativity with everyone.

To learn more about Helen and her art, be sure to visit the links below.



HJM BLOG

No comments: