Saturday, April 25, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - PLUM VALLEY DESIGNS - Custom Designs for Fashion and Fun



AUTUMN LEAF SET
(You can go directly to this item in Vicky's shop by clicking on the photo)

WELCOME, Vicky and her Etsy shop PLUM VALLEY DESIGNS. When you pay a visit to PLUM VALLEY DESIGNS, you will find a wonderful selection of jewelry....such as the beautiful necklace and earring set shown above. How romantic looking!

Island Dreams Orchid

(This lovely piece is now on sale at PLUM VALLEY DESIGNS...Click on the photo to learn more!)

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

I started working with crafts and jewelry over 15 years ago. I began by making fancy masquerade masks in my parents garage (the only place I didn't have to clean up the glitter). I then decided I wanted to make my own earrings. I eventually worked my way into seed beads just before my oldest (who is now 12 and manages to take off with my beads now) was born. The beaded amulet bags seemed to be my downfall. I loved the challenge it offered. I even took my beads and patterns to the hospital with me so I had something to do in my down time before she was born! Then with children, came a pause in my beading until about 6 years ago. Now it has exploded all over my study and into the general public!

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

I do not think I have decided on a medium yet. I feel that working with a little bit of everything allows for more creativity. I do have my favorites of pearls and semi precious gemstones though. Eventually I may even take up drawing, because I have tons of little slips of paper throughout the house with sketches of ideas I have during the day. Well, maybe not yet!

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

Sitting up until the wee hours of the morning getting that one design to flow or take shape. Also, I love being able to finish something and say "Now that is my best yet".

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

A mango. With the fullness of the color inside (deep to bright orange) it takes me back to the copper and golden colors I absolutely love. The rich copper tones of sunstones. And on the outside there is the green and red coloring of the skin which remind me of being outside at dusk with the scarlet red sun setting behind the lush green hills. There I go again sounding like I am describing a necklace or a pair of earrings!

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

I would have to say watercolors. I really want to say finger paints(ah the things we learn from Girl Scout meetings)..... But with the great blending of colors, how they dance around each other with such grace. Water colors are really a beautiful way to express ones self.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

I want people to know that you do not have to pay a lot for beautiful work. You can look great, know your jewelry is going to last, and that it won't be found walking around the corner and running into you. I think that everyone should have something special that they enjoy know that they have an original piece of jewelry.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Get out and be involved in your community events. Find local fairs or Saturday markets to showcase your work. No event is a waste if you can get out and promote your work! Find many ways to get your work out and be seen. Stand behind your work and do not be afraid that it is not good enough. Be proud to know that your works are hand made.

Vicky, it has been a real pleasure to have you and your work out here on DZFANTASY! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and creativity with all of us. Beautiful work! To see more of Vicky's creations be sure to visit her links below.

PLUM VALLEY DESIGNS ON ARTFIRE

PLUM VALLEY DESIGNS WEBPAGE

SILKFAIR

1 comment:

DeeCee said...

Beautiful jewelry and a wonderful interview. Thanks for the inspiration.