Saturday, April 18, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - PIGATOPIA


I'm very happy to have this wonderful artist out here on DZFANTASY. Shannon of PIGATOPIA on Etsy is not only a talented artist, but I love how she uses the proceeds from her artistic talent to help animals. I'm sure you will find her work delightful. Be sure to visit her Etsy and Artfire shops along with the other links listed below this interview.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

When I got my first pig, Vinny, I had no idea how hard it was to find a vet that would see and treat pigs. After calling around 30 vets, I was given a phone number for Noah's Ark Pot Bellied Pig Rescue. When I called, I talked to Lynne and I told her that my pig's hooves were over grown and his tusk was starting to touch his cheek. I was worried that the tusk was going to grow into his face. Lynne set up an appointment to come out to my house and trim the pig's hooves and tusk. When she got there, I was wondering how she was going to trim his feet and tusk, after all she was this skinny little thing. I soon found out. We had to catch Vinny and flip him over. Now this might sound easy but Vinny was over 350 lbs easy. It took 15 minutes or so, but we grabbed a hold of him and got his feet out from under him, flipping hinm over. Once we had him over he was not able to get away. Lynne's hubby, Ronnie, quickly trimmed his feet then his tusk. Once we had him flipped, it took 10 minutes to do everything. (this way is safe and painless). We flipped him over and he was on his way eating grass.

I found myself wanting to learn more about Lynne and Noah's Ark so I went to their sanctuary. I fell in love with Lynne's pigs and I soon learned how to take good care of my pig. When I got him off of dog food and put him on pig food, he lost at least 100 lbs. I became good friends with Lynne and donated money to help the pigs whenever I could, but found myself wanting to help her more so I started making art to sell at her annual animal benefits. I now make art to help aniamls across the world.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

That is a hard question. I love all mediums. I did not want to be limited in my abilites so I taught myself : oil paintings, watercolor, wood burned art, glass etching, and airbrushing

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

I get to help animals in need. I feel better at night knowing I helped make a difference.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

A watermelon, because pigs love watermelons. lol

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

Watercolors..I am really good at watercolors, but that is because that is the medium I sell the most of.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

I want to bring awareness to animal organizations and help as many animals as I can.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Find your niche in life, do not try and copy what everyone else does. Findiing our own niche means repeat customers. Always try and make the customer happy.

Shannon, thanks so much for sharing your story, ideas and creativity with all of us. Keep up the good work!



PIGATOPIA ON ARTFIRE

PIGATOPIA BLOG

BYHAND.ME

1 comment:

pigatopia said...

I love your blog. Thank you so much for featureing me on your blog. I am following your blog now. I am going through and reading your past post. very nice ;8)

Thanx
shannon