Monday, June 29, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - LYDIA KRUPINSKI OF PIEROGI PICNIC


Strawberry Siesta ReVamped Eco Dress
by Lydia
of
PIEROGI PICNIC
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle...all while being fashionable in this one-of-a-kind ReVamped
Dress!
(CLICK on photo to learn more about this dress)

WELCOME, Lydia and her delightful "revamped" clothing creations which she sells in her Etsy shop, PIEROGI PICNIC. I just spent some time browsing through Lydia's shop, and you can just feel the "energy and fun" that comes through in each of her designs. Her use of upcycled goods is quite amazing and innovative. Be sure to pay PIEROGI PICNIC a visit after reading Lydia's interview below.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

From an early age I was dreaming up little projects. My mother has a Polaroid somewhere of some dolls I had outfitted with toilet paper dresses...that seems to be the earliest indication of my love for whimsical crafting. When I was in elementary school I was called into the principal's office for selling handmade jewelry on the playground...entrepreneurship was not something that was encouraged at the time. I continued to collect, sew, design, draw, and create as an adolescent. The years passed, I went to college, got married, developed a career, and then, was suddenly laid off. In my new-found free time I became reacquainted with my love of design and with the insistence of my hubby...Pierogi Picnic was born!

Popsicle Falls Darling Eco Shirt Dress M

This adorable frock is the perfect piece with which to celebrate the warmer weather! Pieced together from a reclaimed top and men's dress shirt, this dress has a modern edge and vintage charm.

(CLICK on photo above to learn more about this dress)

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

Decided? I have yet to decide! This is perhaps the most difficult thing for me. I am a media maker by trade, artist by night, singer by earshot, and crafter by day. I have a terrible time streamlining my creative energy. Pierogi Picnic focuses on recycled textiles because I have an obsession with color, texture, and sustainability. I love the way fabrics feel, and the way they flow when you walk, but I also love knowing that what I make is created from materials that someone else has used in the past. I'm not purchasing new fabrics, but re-using those that are abandoned by other consumers.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

Discovery! Be it finding the perfect cotton men's shirt with which to make a dress, or concocting a new design...the flow from find to idea is one of the most rewarding aspects of my biz. It's also exciting when others discover my creations.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

That's a hard one. My cat's name is Tomato so I feel inclined to choose that...but I will have to say Basil. I know it's an herb and all, but it's green, easy to grow, fresh and invigorating...all the things I want Pierogi Picnic to be!

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

The moving image. Before craft came into my life I was making videos. From childhood I would write scripts, make puppets, and with the help of my father's camcorder, make films with special effects and the like. I went to art school and focused on film and video but found that abstract media production doesn't pay the bills. So I've set my creativity to the side and worked commercially in the field.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

Choosing to live a conscious lifestyle doesn't mean you have to eat flavorless granola and wear post-consumer mules. You can be stylish, sustainable, sassy and make a difference in the world around you!

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Creativity is the spice of life! Don't allow the mundaneness of daily life to prevent you from harnessing your creative abilities and sharing them with the world!
THANKS, Lydia for taking the time to share your fun, one-of-a-kind clothing. Great interview!
If you'd like to see more of Lydia's creations, learn more about Lydia, be sure to visit her links below.


BLOG

No comments: