Tuesday, June 16, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - FEATHERWURM GRAPHICS


The Dour Fantastic - Dragon
by
FEATHERWURM GRAPHICS

When you visit Pearl's Etsy shop, FEATHERWURM GRAPHICS, you will not only find original artwork, cards and stationary, but some of the most whimsical figurines and miniatures. After reading Pearl's interview below, be sure to pay a visit to FEATHERWURM GRAPHICS.


You just might find a tiny creature there that you can't live without...whether it is in the form of a painting or a figure.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

I try all sorts of new things, anything and everything, and sooner or later most things I try find their way to Etsy. I focus on sculpture as I really enjoy bringing to life new creatures and creations (and I enjoy creating things in miniature, I like tiny things!). I've been creating fantasy creatures for as long as I've been breathing, it's only ever seemed natural to just make more and more of them! My parents were a wonderful influence on me growing up, and I can only keep following their direction to find my own way, and just keep creating and being who I am.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

I work with many mediums, I enjoy being a jack of all trades (if a master of none...), since I work in theater, and often have to make do with what I can find. Through doing this, I've found out how to work with many mediums and styles, and continued to use them with my foundation in art to constantly try new approaches. I like to play with new stuff all the time, and I'm even looking into working with plastics and acrylic at the moment.

Little Laidly Worm (Wyrm, Wurm, Wyvern..)

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

I would have to say that the conception of any new creature is the most fun, deciding how it will look, seeing it come about, and developing its story and nature. I love to tell stories with my work, and in crafting many little creatures, scenes, and designs, I'm given the opportunity to develop new stories every day.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?


I would definitely choose peppers! Hands down, as they're spicy, bright, and come in so many varities! Actually... that gives me ideas for new dragons...!


If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

Well, I do use a lot on my own, but if I were to add a new one to my repertoire, I think I would choose cooking (a strange 'medium' I know), which I feel is a very fine art form, which as yet still eludes me. To learn to craft elaborate sugar sculptures and compose dishes and items that delight the palate would be a great joy to me. The art of scent and taste, be it perfume or confectionery is a realm I definitely wish to explore in the future.


What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?


There is always room for brightness, fantasy, and joy in the world, and not all things with too many teeth are as scary as they look.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Never throw away your old work, and don't undersell yourself. Your old work will show you how far you've come, don't look down on it, embrace it as a part of what you've learned. If it didn't work the first time, fix it and try again. And remember that your time and work are valuable, don't forget that.

Thanks, Pearl, for sharing your whimsical fantasy creations with everyone, and for giving us a bit of an "insight" as to what motivates you as an artist. It has been a pleasure to have you on DZFANTASY as a featured artist.

To learn more about Pearl and her FEATHERWURM creations, be sure to visit her links below.

FEATHERWURM GRAPHICS WEBSITE

BLOG

No comments: