Monday, January 12, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - VALERIE OF MISTFLOWER STUDIO

Bob, Why the Long Face mixed media mosaic African mask

by Valerie

of

MISTFLOWER STUDIO


What a stunning piece of art....! I love all the colors and intricate design of this African mask! One can only imagine the time and creativity it took to create it.


Let's welcome Valerie of MISTFLOWER on Etsy. Valerie's shop has a wide variety of colorful pieces of her art, ranging from mosaic art, such as the mask above, acrylic paintings, mosaic pendants, colorful mosaic pocket mirrors, and much more! Be sure to pay a visit!


What led you to start creating your art/craft?

I sustained a traumatic brain injury in a multiple car accident thanks to a drunk driver. I had to re-learn how to do many things, and I started putting together children's jigsaw puzzles as a challenge. As I recovered, the puzzles increased in difficulty. I had been an artist for most of my life up until the accident, so when I started feeling well enough to create again, I decided to try making a mosaic because it was like a jigsaw puzzle. That's how it all began.


How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

My art is still evolving. First and foremost, I'm a texture junkie. I've dabbled in many mediums, but mosaics and mixed media bring me the most pleasure. I love how chunks of glass feel in my hands.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

I love giving things a new life, whether it's broken china, damaged tile, a beautiful broken bottle that I tumble...it all makes my heart sing. As humans, we're all "damaged" to some extent and we're constantly transforming ourselves. Why shouldn't discarded inanimate objects get the opportunity to be a part of something beautiful?

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

Hmmm...I was going to say a blackberry, because the texture of the berry reminds me of a mosaic, but that's too easy. I'd have to say an onion because of the multiple layers. You have the protective skin, it can bring a tear to your eye, the layers and layers of onion. It can be used and prepared in so many different ways. It's intricate and intense...two words that are often used to describe me.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

I'm really drawn to soft fibers. I would love to learn how to knit and make giant wall hangings that are rich with texture and embellished with things like glass beads and copper wire.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

I'd like to think that my work tells people to never give up, that something broken can always heal and become whole again and not to be afraid of color.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Find something that you love and that speaks to you. Your art might not be for everyone, but on Etsy you have a worldwide audience. You're sure to find admirers/buyers. Also, don't give your work away with ridiculously low prices. You're worth more than that, and you'll quickly burn out and feel bitter. Art comes from your heart and soul. Be good to yourself and your art will reflect that.

THANKS, Valerie for a wonderful interview....love your answers, and your work! Don't forget to visit Valerie's links below.



MISTFLOWER STUDIO BLOG


MISTFLOWER STUDIO WEBSITE

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Donna, thank you so much for the lovely feature. You made my day!

l'actrice said...

It's great to find out some news about Valerie! I always enjoy her creations! Great interview!

Brownbunnybyiris

'fancypicnic' said...

Such a great interview!

I love the textures and warmth of colour that Valerie brings to her work - fabulous.

YooLa said...

Im so glad to see this here, I love valerie's work, it is so rich, warm, colorful. wonderfil artist with a great sole !!!!