Sunday, January 4, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - MAYBEADS by Lauren Mazursky

Vinnie the Valentine's Day Alien, Handmade Lampwork Bead
by Lauren Mazursky
of
MAYBEADS

The cute little guy above is just one of the many delightful, handmade lampwork beads you will find in Lauren's shop, MAYBEADS. They are sure to make you smile....they did me! I had a great time visiting her shop, and ran across this fun little turtle pendant. There are so many cute critters at MAYBEADS it makes it really hard to choose one!



Oh....and how about this fun octopus!!



What led you to start creating your art/craft?

I started making lampwork beads after I took a bracelet-making class at JoAnn's. I loved the class, but I wasn't thrilled with the bead selection there. Having absolutely no experience with jewelry making or beads, I turned to the internet for some research. It didn't take me long to find lampwork (or glass) beads. They are so beautiful! I found a place about 40 minutes away where I could take a beginner's class and I signed up. I loved it from the moment I lit my torch.


How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

There was no question for me, I wanted to learn how to make lampwork beads. I really wanted to make beautiful focal beads or bead sets to be used in the jewelry I planned to make, but somehow I got side-tracked and started making critter beads. I came across a penguin bead tutorial online and I tried it out. I couldn't believe it -- I made something that my kids recognized! One thing led to another, and I learned how to make cows, and figured out cats, turtles, ducks, fish, aliens and most anything with a face.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

I find my time at the torch to be the most enjoyable. I love to create the little critter faces. It wasn't what I set out to do, but it's become what I love.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable to describe your work, what would you choose and why?

Oh, fruity, for sure. Vegetables seem much more serious than what I do. You have to eat your veggies, but fruit is a treat.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your "creativity", what would that be and why?

I would love to learn fused glass. I just think it's so pretty. Also, I think silver jewelry is just lovely, and that would be really great to know and work with, especially if I ever did make some fantastic focal bead that needed some shiny adornments.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

I'd have to say I would want to convey humor and just plain fun through my craft.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Just go for it! I had never done anything artistic before this class, and I could not be happier. If there's something you want to learn, just try it. It's never to late!

Lauren, your work is truly delightful, and you are definitely conveying "humor and fun" with them! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and creativity with everyone!




BLOG

No comments: