Thursday, January 29, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - SILJA'S GIFT SHOP

Felt Cow - SUSSU

Silja of SILJA'S Gift Shop has a huge variety of items to peak your interest....bracelets, earrings, art cards, felted animals and dolls, and much more! Be sure to pay her shop a visit! After reading her interview below, you'll see that Silja also has a sense of humor!


What led you to start creating your art/craft?

I bought a pencil and I can't stand stuff just laying around, so I had to use it. Same goes for the lamb wool and the felting needle.


How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?


I like oil colors the most. It is like paste, you can poke it with your brush until it gets into the shape or color you want it to be and it can take 2 days if you want to, because it dries so slowly. Oil is the perfect medium for people who are slow.



What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?
The middle part of creating, where you can do things freely. Making finishing touches drives me crazy! After that, getting compliments! It is easy for me, because I take EVERYTHING as a compliment. If you say you hate my work, I only hear "I think about your stuff and it makes me feeeeeeel something, mushy mushy".

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

Chernobyl pumpkin. It's illuminating! Not really! I just had to say that. I am not conceited. Maybe a potato. It is dirty, but people love it! No, no. That is not it either. Berries? Corn? Hmm...would love some corn now...Will check if we have some...

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

Clay! Not polymer clay, but real clay. I would love to learn how to do clay pipes and maybe some clay dolls too. And then bury them and see if someone finds them in 2000 years and what would they say? But it is not easy to live for 2000 years to see it myself, so I think I will not execute this great plan. Maybe if I had some extra sandwiches though....

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

Traditional art to masses! That sounds awful, I know.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Honesty means just random opinions from people who haven't got their morning coffee yet. Think for yourself! Nobody is right all the time anyway. So would you rather have someone else's bad idea or your own?

THANKS, Silja for your delightful interview, and for taking the time to share your many creations with everyone. To see more of Silja's work be sure to visit the links below. She has some fantastic paintings on her FLICKR site.




BLOG

FLICKR

DEVIANT ART

No comments: