Friday, January 23, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - CLAY IT AGAIN

If you only had faith as a grain of mustard seed...
nothing shall be impossible to you." Matthew 17:20

I have always loved this saying from the Bible. I have a plaque with this same saying hanging in my studio. And every once in awhile I need to be reminded of those words. So I created a pendant with the same sentiment and a real mustard seed encased within the heart of the pendant.

Welcome, Cindi and her Etsy shop CLAY IT AGAIN. I love the idea of her mustard seed pendant above. In this troubled world of ours....we all need to remember to have faith! Be sure to visit CLAY IT AGAIN, to see Cindi's other wonderful creations.
What led you to start creating your art/craft?

My mother was my girl scout troop leader and so we were always doing some kind of craft or another...macaroni, tissue paper, ash trays for smokeless families... When that creativity is sparked in a child, it just follows with you, your whole life.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

I discovered polymer clay when I ran out of wooden beads for some wire angels I was making for Christmas one year. I asked my (normally very generous) stepson if I could have some of his old junky modeling clay. I was shocked when he told me NO! So I sent my hubby and (and stepson) to the store to get me some beads. Hubby got the wooden beads; But my son picked out a sample pkg of polymer clay because he thought I needed clay. The clay sat around for a couple of months and then one day I saw Donna Kato on the Carol Duval show. And the rest, as they say, is history...I've had polymer in my veins ever since, and I blame my son for this addiction.. LOL

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

The most enjoyable part for me is when an idea pops into my mind, and I have to figure out the mechanics of how to put everything together to make a tangible product. To be honest, I get bored making the same thing over and over. And although I am very patient with tedious time consuming projects, it is a real challenge for me to make more than 6 of anything. When I do HAVE to make more than half a dozen of something, you will always see variations in the items.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

I would choose grapes. They are can be sweet, juicy, sometimes sour, and they make you want to keep plucking off another one to enjoy!

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

I actually do switch off polymer occasionally to do landscape oil paintings. I can create a whole different place to go when I paint, but the whole time I am painting, my mind is racing with ideas of things I can make in clay. I have to keep a notepad with me to write down polymer ideas while I am painting.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

I just want people to enjoy my creations, whether it is to look at, to touch, to wear, or simply to hold. If it brings someone happiness, I've done my job well.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Practice, patience, and perserverance...Good things come to those who wait.

THANKS, Cindi, for sharing your thoughts, and creativity.

Cindi also has another talent....painting beautiful landscape scenes in oil! Be sure to also visit her other shop on Etsy...12 MIDNIGHT OILS.















CLAY IT AGAIN BLOG

No comments: