Wednesday, December 23, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - THE FROG BAG


Glamorous Felt Sea Anemone Soft Sculpture

by

Corinna

Come join me for a visit with Corinna of THE FROG BAG on Etsy.  When you pay a visit to THE FROG BAG you will find a wide variety of items created by Corinna....frog related items, beaded objects, earrings, other jewelry, and a lot more!

Corinna states in her shop announcement that "20% of the price of anything bought here will be donated to The Tapir Preservation Fund, a charity which supports the conservation of tapirs and their rainforest habitat."  Through this endeavor, Corinna has raised over $400.00.  Good for you, Corinna!!



Asian Tapir Cat Toy

Also known as the Malayan tapir (Tapirus indicus), this is the largest of the four tapir species. It is also the only one living in Asia, and the only one so strikingly marked as an adult.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?


I've always been crafty. Some of my earliest memories involve my mother sewing for me, making me stuffed animals, getting ready for her own craft shows, and doing crafts with me (crayon batik, anyone? How about bathtub tie-dye?) so I guess that it was natural that I would carry on that tradition.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

I've played around with several, but I just really love shiny colorful tiny things. So felt and beads are the obvious choices! Especially since I'm a lousy painter.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

Designing the piece. I get very excited as I sketch it out and lay out the beads or felt, especially as the color theme takes hold. That said, relaxing into a long stretch of peyote stitch can be very rewarding.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

Hmm, tough question! I think I choose the kiwi. It is cute and small, rather unassuming at first, but filled with jewel-toned tangy goodness inside.


Biological Cylinder Necklace


If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

I'm finally learning to sew with a machine, and I'm getting slightly obsessed with unusual vintage fabrics. I'd love to get good enough with it to actually create clothing.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

Well, I do a lot of work for the Tapir Preservation Fund (which contributes to rain forest conservation too), and a lot of my work is up-cycled or animal themed, so I guess I'd like to convey a sense of my wonder and amazement at the natural world.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Just keep at it. And don't be afraid to make friends and contacts among other crafters. They can really help you out when you have those inevitable down times when you feel like you aren't making any progress.

Thanks, Corinna, for taking the time to share your creativity and thoughts with all of us.  To learn more about Corinna and her work, be sure to visit the links below.

4 comments:

Elaine said...

Hi Donna,

I just wanted to wish you a very happy holiday. You are always so generous with your giveaways - I hope wonderful things come your way in the new year.

TheFrogBag said...

Thanks so very much for featuring my etsy shop! Wishing you all good things in 2010!

tattytiara said...

Excellent feature! Seriously, just how cool are her cat toys?

DZFANTASY said...

Thanks for the comments! Wishing everyone a magical 2010!!