Sunday, July 20, 2008

FABULOUS DESIGNER YARNS FOR FANTASY DOLL HAIRDOS, AND WHERE TO FIND THEM!

"FIZZ" YARN BY CRYSTAL PALACE
Several posts ago, I showed how I used some of the beautiful "designer yarns" out there, to create fun, colorful hairdos for my fiber fantasy sculptures. In this post, I will show you photos of some of my favorite yarns, and also where to find them. Several years ago, I used to know the name of every designer and the name of the yarn I used for each and every creation I made. In the past few years, there have been so many of these new delightful yarns, that I have lost track of a lot of their names. Hopefully, I can give you enough information to get you started on a fun journey of finding out about all of the colorful, whimsical yarns that can be used to give your creations one-of-a-kind, magical hairdos!

In the photo on the very top of this page, you will see some of the colors I have of FIZZ yarn, which is made by Crystal Palace. These are just a few of the colors that FIZZ comes in. There are also "varigated" shades of FIZZ, also called "print". This is a shorter eyelash yarn and you can use it by itself, or mix it in with other yarns for a very colorful effect. CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW TO SEE ALL THE DIFFERENT COLORS THIS YARN COMES IN:

FIZZ YARN COLOR CHART
I used 4 different colors of FIZZ to create the fairy's hairdo below.

Crystal Palace also makes a fun textured yarn, which I just love to use...it is called BeBop, and comes in 16 different colors. Its texture is "eyelash" and "poofs" of color. Here is a photo of a fairy whose hairdo was designed from colorful BeBop yarn.

Click on the link below to see what other colors BeBop yarn comes in.

BEBOP YARN by CRYSTAL PALACE COLOR CHART

Another of my favorite yarns, that I have been using for quite a few years now, is AURA by TRENDSETTER. Aura is a sparkly eyelash yarn, which really glistens and sparkles, especially when the sun or light from a lamp hits it. It makes very magical fairy hair, either using it alone or mixing it in with other yarns. I use AURA in all of my mermaids' hairdos, mixed in with other "eyelash" type yarns. It makes the mermaids glisten and look as if they have just come out of the sea! This yarn also comes in a lot of magical colors. At one time, I think I had just about every color there was. Here is a photo of some of the colors I now have in stock. This yarn also comes in solid, "print" and antique colors.

Click on the link below to get to a page on the web which will show you all the colors this delightful yarn comes in. There are also two other links on that page which will take you to the "Print" colors, and one for the "Antique" colors available. There is also a "Store Locator" link on this page, which lets you pick your state, and then will list the shops in your area that sell AURA. There are also "on-line" shops from which you can purchase AURA.

AURA YARN by TRENDSETTER COLOR CHART

I used an AURA "print" yarn for this little "butterfly fairy face pin's" hairdo. See how she sparkles and glistens!

Below you will see one of my drawers full of yarn, which I usually try to sort by colors. Looks like one is in there that should be, as this is my "green toned" yarns! As you can see, I love using a lot of fun textured yarns, which have "eyelash" and "loops" in them. They all make great fantasy hairdos!


Another one of my "favorite" yarns is made by Moda Dea. The most magical one is called FRIVOLOUS, and comes in a variety of colors, but my favorite color is Tutti Fruiti. Below is a photo of a fairy whose hairdo was created using FRIVOLOUS - Tutti Fruiti yarn! It is a very soft, wispy eyelash yarn with a metallic thread running through it. I use this yarn quite a bit, as it is so much fun, and colorful.


Below is a link that will take you to the MODEA DEA page that shows the other colors this gorgeous yarn comes in.

MODEA DEA - FRIVOLOUS COLOR CHART

These are only a "very few" of the yarns I have used when creating my colorful, whimsical hairdos. I used to purchase a lot of these "designer" yarns at a small yarn shop in my area, but in the last several years, I tend to look for them out on the internet, and purchase them "on-line". It takes a bit of time and searching to find what one is looking for, but once you know names of the designers you like best, and the name of the yarns, it makes it a lot easier. I have found out, over the years, that if you find a yarn you really like working with, be sure to get enough in several different colors, as the "designer" yarns tend to be produced for several years, and then you can no longer get them. Below are several links where I have been purchasing yarn on-line.

YARN MARKET

HERRSCHNERS

I will be continuing this "yarn" information in another post in the near future! Do stop back, and have fun trying some of this fabulous yarn for your fantasy dolls!

No comments: