Tuesday, July 15, 2008

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - ORIGINALS BY LAUREN

Introducing Lauren's Etsy shop....ORIGINALS BY LAUREN. Here you will find fabric creations ranging from colorful, fun aprons, potholders, bags, bibs, and one-of-a-kind metal jewelry. Be sure to check out the items Lauren has to offer. Below you will hear in Lauren's own words, as she tells us a little bit about herself, and what motivates her to create.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?
I have been sewing since I was 11 yrs. old. I took a metalsmithing class 5 years ago and fell in love with jewelry making, although I don't have much listed.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?
I have done different types of sewing. When my kids were little, I used to design Halloween costumes, and sell children's dresses. Later on, I starting selling children's clothing wholesale, and then I switched to dressmaking and alterations (mostly bridal). I recently got interested in adding to that with Etsy. I saw a need for plus sized aprons, and I have been making them since May.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?
I love choosing fabric. I want to buy them all. I love quilt shops. They have so many colors and designs.

If you had to choose a fruit or a vegetable to describe your art/craft, what would it be and why?
I think maybe apples, because they are colorful and rich, like cotton fabric.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?
I think I chose to make aprons for larger women because it is something I wasn't seeing in the stores. They only made larger bbq aprons.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?
Do something that you love to do , and would do even if you didn't get paid for it. It is very hard work, and if you are not passionate, you will not have the drive you need.

Lauren, thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts and work with us. You sound just like me about your "love of choosing fabric, and quilt shops"! I love all the colors and designs! Be sure to visit ORIGINALS by LAUREN by clicking on her links below:


LAUREN'S BLOG

No comments: