Monday, July 28, 2008

FEATURED ETSY ARTIST - KARIN LORENC

Love the color of this mug!! Karin told me this delightful mug has been sold, but if you visit her shop on Etsy - KARIN LORENC, I'm sure you will find another one that you'd just love! Here Karin tells us in her own words about how she feels about creating her wonderful, useful, creations. Don't forget to pay a visit to Karin's shop after reading her interview!

I've been addicted to creating for as long as I can remember. I make something almost everyday. Most of my work serves an everyday purpose. I make things you WILL use. I love making pottery because it is such a natural process. It's pretty rewarding to turn a chunk of the earth into a beautiful and useful cup or bowl.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

I've loved making pottery ever since I took a community art class as a kid. When I found an ad for a used kick wheel in the newspaper I jumped on it and started to take my pottery making more seriously.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

I love working with clay. It's natural. It's REALLY messy. I love the way it smells. What more could you want?

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

Well I already said I like to get messy... My favorite part of the ceramic process is definitely wheel throwing. It can be so calming when it all goes right. It's like meditating.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

Hmm... this is a tricky one. How about a hard shell gourd? It's beautiful to look at but it can also be extremely useful.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

Just one? Well I went to school for painting. But I also like to make musical instruments, and jewelry. So I guess I'll have to go with weaving.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

Art can be functional. It doesn't have to be kept in a case or hung on the wall to be admired. Use it! Make everyday moments special. Your morning coffee can be a sacred experience. Then there's cereal time....and sandwich time...!

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Make what YOU love. Let your likes and dislikes rule what you make. It'll turn out better that way. Try not too keep too many of the highly awesome things you make because then you won't make any money!

Karin, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and work with us! I definitely agree with your "make what you love". That seems to be the feelings of most of the artists who I have featured out here on DZFANTASY.

Now don't forget to visit KARIN LORENC by clicking on either the photos below or the link to her shop.



No comments: