Thursday, July 17, 2008

FEATURED ETSY ARTIST - KERI JOY COLESTOCK

I just love Keri's whimsical "wall dancer" creations. They are so full of fun and color. I'm really happy to feature Keri and her magical creations. Below you will hear what Keri has to say about how she got started with her wonderful dolls, and what motivates her as an artist.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?
As terrible as this may sound, it was a desperate cry to not go crazy in bed, being so ill with Lyme Disease. That is the truth. Because I went so long undiagnosed I was a mess! Even though there was not much left of me, some small part of my spirit had to be left. I was getting daily infusions twice a day and one day a 2 year old little angel came in and sat down next to me. She un-zippered her flannel footie jammies. She held her arm out for her infusion and this lil angel was dying from cancer. My pity-party ended there and then. I truly KNEW how blessed I was and I am! Laying in bed sick was no longer an option from that point on. The reality is these are the cards I was dealt. I do believe everything happens for a reason. So I have learned many great lessons and crossed paths with some of the greatest people....I choose to take my ride with a smile! Oh-life IS good!

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?
I was a trained illustrator and was a Senior Designer for 15 years. I SWORE I would NEVER paint or draw again and became a bartender! I missed working on the drawing board and I felt like a secretary doing art on the computer. I guess I am an "Old School Babe!" Every year I would make polymer Xmas ornaments for the kids, so it was a medium I was 'used' to. I started out first making avant garde plant stakes.......then polymer covered vases......then one day the 'gals' were born.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?
I enjoy that each is one of a kind. I take the creative liberties every time I make one as there are no molds so I truly can play! Seeing other talented fellow artist's work.......that inspires me.... besides every weekend hitting a great art fair in the summer months!!!!!!! New fun embellishments also can bring on a creative surge. I see fun work, then I want to play too!

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?
A banana... because making these in bed in my jammies everyone thought I was outta my tree!

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?
Do not let anyone tell you that things are impossible to do. That is the worst thing I feel that you can tell a person..my kids sure never heard that from me! My doctors told me when I was first diagnosed with the Lyme Disease that they would be IMPOSSIBLE for me to do because I was crawling & could not see and focus. The Lyme also caused Arthritis & Fibromyalgia. Now 7+ years later they get them every year as Xmas presents! ~laughing~ And now I have sold a tad over 1,000 dolls.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?
To do what your heart tells you. It HAS to be FUN so do it for you and no one else. When you think you just are spent or discouraged with the economy or lack of sales.......we all hope it will turn back around. Try not to second-guess your work
because it is really easy to do! I think we all have been guilty of that!

Keri, thanks for taking the time to share not only your story of determination and not giving up....but, also your delightful, wonderful creations, which I'm sure have put a smile on many a person's face! Be sure to visit Keri's Etsy shop - KERIJOY, and also her other links below. What a fun, delightful artist!

No comments: