Monday, August 24, 2009

FEATURED ETSY ARTIST - CHRISTEN LARGENT, METALSMITH

Journal Circle Bracelet with Birthstone Setting
Customize with your choice of words in my NEW Journaling Lowercase Font. Shiny or Oxidized Finish

CLICK on above photo to learn more about this item

I'm happy to bring you the fine designs of Christen Largent, Metalsmith from Etsy. You really must pay a visit to Christen's shop to see all of her great jewelry designs. There is a wide variety of items in her shop. Christen offers customized/inscribed bangles, bracelets, personalized pendants for both men and women, gorgeous rings, and more....!

Let's read Christen's interview below to get a bit more of an insight into this talented jewelry artist.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

I have always worked with my hands, (I'll spare you the line-up of mediums over the years!!) but around the time that my son was born, I started wire-working...making jewelry, teaching the art, etc. and as I was working with wire, I realized that there were limitations. My dad did some metalsmithing in school, so he gave me my first lesson in soldering and the rest is history!

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

It found me! First with wire and then just all-out metal! I'm basically a crow anyway - anything pretty and shiny and I'm in love!

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

A challenge - thinking up an impossible piece with a bazillion soldering joints and seeing it all come together...it's like I've conquered the limitations of metal!! I'm not even a REALLY, REALLY experienced metalsmith, so I can't wait to see what the future brings!

Spring Crocus Stacked Sterling Rings . set of three

made to order in your size (whole, half or quarter sizes)

CLICK on the ring's photo to learn more about this item

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

This is a great question because I LOVE to garden....I think I will say a tomato because if you've ever seen a successful tomato farmer, and ask him how his tomatoes are so healthy and prolific, he'll tell you it takes years of practice, knowing what the tomatoes need in order to thrive and tender loving care. And that's exactly what metalsmithing takes. You can't just say one day "I think I'll metalsmith"! and just jump in and start making beautiful things. It takes learning the "rules" (science behind metal and flame), having the right tools, and a great deal of patience and tender loving care, and YEARS AND YEARS of practice. You're going to melt things down, you're going to burn and cut yourself, but you just keep going!

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

I am an avid scrapbooker and LOVE layout design. It is somewhat similar to building a piece of jewelry too!


What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?


My message, first and foremost, is the beauty of nature and the awesomeness of God who created it! I get inspired EVERY DAY when I look around me! God created metal and the physical properties of metal too, so I'm grateful all the way around!!

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Find something that you LOVE and do it with all your heart, soul and mind! It's great to be able to sell it, but if it's a choice of something that nourishes your soul or something that nourishes your bank account, choose your soul!!!

Christen, thank you for a delightful interview! It was fun learning more about the artist behind the beautiful jewelry, and to see your work.


If you'd like to see more of Christen's creations, be sure to click on the photos and link below.


No comments: