Sunday, August 9, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - ACTUALI DESIGN

Sealed With a Kiss Romantic Greeting Card
(CLICK on above photo to learn more about this card)

WELCOME, Ali and her Etsy shop, ACTUALI DESIGN. When you visit ACTUALI DESIGN, you will find Ali's original designed greeting cards which will let you tell someone that they are "special".

Let's learn a little more about Ali by reading her interview below.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

A few years back, my mom bought me a book from her crafter's bookclub on cardmaking, as I'd been creating handdrawn cards for friends and family for years. The book really opened my mind to multimedia greeting cards. I'd never thought to take a crafty approach over a fine art one. I went out to Michael's shortly thereafter, and stocked up! I decided I was going to sell cards at the annual craft sale at my cottage, and I did. I've been doing it every year, since.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

Like I said, that book really opened my eyes to the possibilities. At first, I stuck largely to paper materials and brads. You know, the basic scrapbooking materials. Over the years, I've added to my collection with rubber stamps, die cuts, and other traditional things, but I've also begun using things like buttons, fabrics, and other fun finds. I love experimenting! As far as my small print collection, I really got into digital arts as a result of wanting to be a graphic designer. It led me to experimenting with software like Adobe Illustrator, and I found that I really enjoyed it!


White Tulips Print
(CLICK on photo to learn more about this beautiful card)

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?


My favourite part is just sitting down in my studio, and sifting through all my supplies, considering all the possibilities. I love trying different combinations, and often do so for almost an hour before I actually settle on one, and make a card!

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

Hah, I like this question! I'd have to say an orange. It helps that I love oranges, but they're also a good symbol of freshness, which I equate with modernism. If you know your colour theory, you know that the colour orange signifies happiness and energy, as well as being a great out-of-the-ordinary attention catcher. That has a lot to do with why I chose to use a yellow-orange in Actuali Design's logo!

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

I would love to try letterpress. It's an obvious extension of my love for digital art. Typography fascinates me, and letterpress would be a great way to play around with that.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

With my cards in particular, I want to make it feel more personal. I don't like the idea of stocking up with a ton of cheap cards from the dollar store, and working your way through the pile of boringly ambiguous cards as you need them. Cards are supposed to let someone know you're thinking of them, and picking a handmade card just for them contributes to that.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

If you decide to take your hobby from just that to a business, don't get too caught up in the business side of things. Remember that you're doing this because it's what you love. If it's not, you're doing the wrong thing.

Great interview, Ali! I love your thoughts and ideas. Thanks for taking the time to share your creativity with everyone.

To learn more about Ali and see more of her designs, be sure to visit her links below.



TWITTER

FACEBOOK

FLICKR

No comments: