Monday, August 17, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - SHOP REMINISCENCE


Shabby Chic blank card - blue and pink - choose your own sentiment

CLICK on card's photo to learn more about this item.

With all the lovely original designed handmade cards available, why would anyone want to send or give a store bought card! Cards like these will make someone feel "extra special"!

I'm happy to have Jocelyn and her Etsy shop, SHOP REMINISCENCE, here on DZFANTASY so that you can learn more about her lovely handmade greeting cards. Read below to hear what Jocelyn has to say in her own words, and then be sure to stop by and pay SHOP REMINISCENCE a visit.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

My aunts actually got me started on scrapbooking when I was about 13 or 14. At the time, it was not nearly as evolved as it is now. My first albums are full of colorful paper and sparkly stickers! I sort of got out of it going through college and started it back up again a couple years ago, and boy did I get a strong feeling of culture shock. No more were the sparkly stickers, the construction-like paper, and outdated patterns. Instead were inking techniques, layering techniques, 3-D embellishments, rhinestones, flowers, oh my! Then I took a greeting card class at my local scrapbooking store and was hooked. I started making them for friends and family and they were such a hit that I decided to take the leap to try to sell them.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

Scrapbooking wouldn’t be scrapbooking if I didn’t use the one thing that is the foundation of it all, paper. Oh how I love my paper! But there are so many different mediums that can be used in scrapbooking that I could never choose just one of them. I also love working with all the different varieties of embellishments that are available. A scrapbook store is my candy shop!

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

Once I figure out my layout, be it a scrapbook page or greeting card, I love putting the whole thing together and watching it evolve right in front of me. Sometimes it turns out better than I had imagined…and sometimes not. So I have fun tweaking things to see what different effects I can get.


Custom Cards - Set of 4 - Choose Your Favorite's from Shop Inventory

CLICK on photo to learn more about this item

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

I really have to reach into my imagination for this one! Can I choose a fruit salad?! When I make a fruit salad I like to put in all sorts of different ingredients to create an arrangement of taste and contrast in color. Each piece of fruit adds its own taste to the mix and without it, it just wouldn’t be the same. In my scrapbooking, I like to use all sorts of different ingredients like paper, brads, rhinestones, glitter, ink, flowers (and the list goes on) to create one masterpiece (or so I like to think of it as such – a girl can dream). And I’m always putting different ingredients together to get different “tastes”.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?I would love to be able to paint.

I have always admired and envied those who have mastered that technique. I think if I took the time to take some classes I could definitely incorporate it into my card making.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

When someone receives one of my handmade cards, I want it to make them feel special! Too often do we receive birthday cards and thank you cards that we just throw away and never think twice about. I hope my cards are something people will receive and want to put in their own scrapbook or keepsake chest so they can look back on it to cherish and remember the person who gave it to them.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Do what you love and love what you do. Otherwise, what’s the point? Keep evolving your craft to make it fun and stimulating. And never underestimate the power of a handmade gift.

Thanks, Jocelyn, for a great interview, and for sharing your creativity with everyone.

Be sure to pay a visit to Jocelyn's links below to see what she has to offer.



BLOG

TWITTER

FACEBOOK

No comments: