Sunday, August 23, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - MopTop Maven

Dainty Rose Woven Ribbon Snap Clip
CLICK on photo to learn more about this item

Let's weclome, Melanie, and her Etsy shop, MopTop Maven.

Melanie makes the most darling, colorful hair clips, which will look so cute on your little one's hair! Be sure to stop by for a visit. Now let's hear from Melanie, in her own words, as she tells us a bit more about herself, and what made her start creating her delightful clips.
What led you to start creating your art/craft?

I spent a few years busy with life - graduating college, working, getting married, returning to graduate school, having a baby...all truely wonderful things. But I really missed crafting. I enjoy all kinds of mediums, and had put it off while I kept busy with other things. My daughter's sprouting hair sparked something in me. I wanted to create for her, things similar to what my mother made for me and my sister. My signature item is the woven ribbon snap clip. It's a spin on the double bar braided barrettes my mother made in the 1980s. I think I've updated it well! Most importantly, I wanted to get back some relaxing me time, and this allows me that opportunity.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

The bulk of my work is in ribbons. It's the traditional medium for childrens hair clips. I've searched all over to find interesting embellishments, buying from many sources. The combinations are ENDLESS! And shopping for it is fun.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

I really enjoy making the color combinations. I need to coordinate ribbon and embellishments, and make items in enticing colors. I need to consider my audience, and the major clothing lines for children so that parents can find coordinating accessories. It's a challenge, but it's always bright and colorful in my world.

What a pretty way to keep track of those hair clips!
CLICK on above photo to learn more about this item.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

My craft is a Clementine – sweet and small! And brightly colored. Transportable too.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

Decoupage! I love paper and glue and creating layers and layers of beautiful colors and scenes. I plan to incorporate decoupage works in the near future through gift boxes. I've already started my toddler on decoupage projects - it's something we can enjoy together.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

I want to convey individuality. I aim to design pieces that are different from the usual choices and unique in and of themselves. Even though I'm new to selling my work, I hope that each of my pieces has its own flair that won't be duplicated.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Go with the flow. Move at your own pace. Enjoy what you are doing, or put it away.
Thanks, , for sharing your cute creations and thoughts with all of use. To see more of what MopTop Maven has to offer click on the photos or link below.




1 comment:

jenglo said...

What pretty items! Hooray! :)