Wednesday, August 26, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - SEVILLE83 - EXCESS BAGGAGE SOLUTIONS

MIRROR SUNRISE
by
Samantha

Below is the story of the photograph shown above. Samantha of EXCESS BAGGAGE SOLUTIONS, told me this was her favorite item in her Etsy shop. Read below to see why.

I have listed this photo because before my future husband and I were together, he sold me the car that the mirror belongs to , and when I took that picture after not sleeping for almost 24 hours I thought it was kinda neat. After I showed it to him, he had asked if there were any way it could get turned into a poster. That poster is currently in our bedroom.


Samantha, has recently opened her Etsy shop, EXCESS BAGGAGE SOLUTIONS, where she offers handmade tote bags, along with photography, and other items. After reading her interview below, be sure to pay a visit to EXCESS BAGGAGE SOLUTIONS.

SPOOK-TACULAR ORANGE
Trick or Treat Bag

CLICK on photo go learn more about this item

What led you to start creating your art/craft?


What started me initially was going into a quilt shop on vacation and seeing bags that were made out of bits of quilt. I bought a few because I thought they were awesome and as I was looking at them more and more, I realized that these aren't that hard to make, this is something I can do too! For the pictures, photography is something that I've loved for a very long time and I get a lot of compliments on pictures I take and this was one way to share those pictures with everyone.


How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?


I grew up around my mom making quilts, I knew how to quilt and I do enjoy it. For the photographs I wish I had a darkroom, because then I could go straight up old school with film.


What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most rewarding?


For the bags and scarves and such, its that moment right after I finish where I take it off the sewing machine and flip it the right way (for the bags) and take in my finished product. For the photographs, it's seeing them on my camera right after I take the picture.


If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

This is a tough one, I guess a potato for the sewing and a kohlrabi for the photos. The potatoes, much like the bags and scarves, can have so many different things done with them. The kohlrabi with the photographs is something that you can't enjoy as many ways, but even so you can still enjoy it.


If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your "creativity", what would that be, and why?


I think pin striping. It's something else I enjoy doing and I can still go around and say "see that there? I did that."


What message, if any,do you want to convey with your art/craft?


There really isn't much of a message with what I do. I'm sure I could come up with one, but there isn't anything underlying.


What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?


The biggest thing I can tell other artists and crafters is to not be afraid to try. You never know how far you'll get if you don't take a risk and give it a shot.


Thanks, Sam, for sharing your thoughts and creativity with everyone. Best of luck to you and your shop, EXCESS BAGGAGE SOLUTIONS!


To see more of Sam's creations, click on her shop links below.









TWITTER

3 comments:

paintingpam said...

Great Work, Excess Baggage Solutions!!

www.paintingpam.etsy.com

Seville83 said...

Thanks! I'm just waiting for my big break now! lol

Seville83 said...

Just thought I'd swing by and let you know that I opened a second shop for the photography. It can now be found at PhotosBySeville.etsy.com :)