Saturday, August 29, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - MoKoPo Creations

The Women - 11 x 14 Fine Art Print
CLICK on above photo to learn more about this colorful print

Welcome, Megan and her Etsy shop, MoKoPo, where you will find delightful colorful fine art prints, stunning original paintings, along with journals and sketch books.

Take a moment to learn more about this very talented artist by reading her interview below.
What led you to startcreating your art/craft?

Oh goodness! This is the type of question that's difficult for most artists. I think as a child I had a very vivid imagination, but that wasn't good enough for me. I needed to put that imagination on paper and make it into some tangible creation. It was how I related to others. I am still like that to this day. When I have trouble explaining what I'm thinking to someone else I find it much easier to just draw it.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

My first steps into the artistic world began with drawing. I would sketch everything, with any medium I had at the moment (pencil, pen, colored pencil, crayons...didn't matter). When I was about 11 years old I discovered Bob Ross' "The Joy of Painting" show on PBS and became completely mesmerized by it. I would tape every episode. I got my first Bob Ross Painting Kit for Christmas in 1996, made a complete mess of my parents' living room, and fell in love with painting. Paint has been my medium of choice since then, both oil and acrylic.


NATIVE WOMAN - Original painting by Megan of MoKoPo
CLICK on photo to learn more about this wonderful painting!

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

Brainstorming! My mind often goes way faster than my hand ever could, so at any given time I have a billion ideas floating around in my head. I also enjoy the challenge of executing those ideas. What ends up on the canvas or paper is often different from what I first set out to do, but that's what makes it fun. It keeps me on my toes!

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

Haha, what a great question! This is probably cheating but I'm going to say a Fruit Salad! I'm addicted to color and many of my paintings contain a broad, bright, juicy spectrum. A fruit salad is also representative of my portfolio as a whole- a bunch of different mediums, themes, and techniques that somehow all mesh together to form a cohesive MoKoPo Fruit Salad!

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

I would love to develop my photography skills. I've dabbled in photography a little bit here and there and I absolutely love the medium, but I have a lot to learn. It's something I'm passionate about getting more experience in.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

I want my art to be fun, light, upbeat, and joyful. I have so much fun creating my work and I want those who see it to feel that same energy. Color is nothing to be afraid of and I hope that some of my color choices push people out of their comfort zone a little bit and allow them to look at color in a different light.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

LOVE what you do! Don't try to create things just because you think people will want to buy them. If your heart isn't in your work, it will show. Find what you love to do and work on developing your craft from there. Finally, never be afraid to challenge yourself and try new things. You might not like the finished product, but you are constantly learning.

Great interview and advice, Megan! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and creativity with everyone.

To learn more about Megan and her art, be sure to visit the links below.




BLOG

WEB PAGE

No comments: