Thursday, July 2, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - TINA FRANCIS DESIGNS

SPOTTED DOG

by Tina Francis Designs

(CLICK on the photo above to learn more about this little guy!)

This little earthenware clay dog is one in a series of my hand sculptured dogs that sit on little stages or stands

I'm very happy to have Tina of Tina Francis Designs on Etsy as a featured artist here on DZFANTASY. Her delightful works of clay, whether it be her whimsical animal figures, beautiful, colorful necklaces and earrings, and more, they all are sure to make you smile and feel good! Do yourself a favor and pay a visit to TINA FRANCIS DESIGNS, where you will find a wonderful selection of Tina's creations.

GREEN LEAF EARRINGS

(CLICK on the photo to learn more about these charming earrings!)

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

I think I was born with a crafting gene! As a child I loved art... drawing, painting, clay...I was happy as long as I was making something. My mom taught me to crochet, needlepoint and embroider and encouraged me with whatever I wanted to try artistically.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

I majored in graphic design at art school, but was fascinated with the clay classes that were offered only to art education majors. It was several years later when I was married with two little girls that I discovered a clay class in my neighborhood and was hooked immediately. I worked for years as a graphic designer but always found time to create with clay. I always dreamed of the day when I could devote full time to my art and that is exactly what I am doing now. I'm happy!

What aspect of creating your artcraft do you find the most enjoyable?

Creating with clay a lot of fun steps: designing, sculpting or hand building the piece, painting on the glaze and firing. I love every step, but my favorite would have to be creating the expressions for my animal pieces, angels and mermaids. When a face suddenly develops a personality through some gesture with the clay, or the painting of any eye, nose or mouth, it always makes me stop and smile. I feel like I just made a new friend and its a great feeling.

If you had to choose a fruit OR vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

I would say an apple because I just can't get through a day without eating an apple, and find it just as hard to get through a day without working with clay.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your "creativity", what would that be, and why?

I would love to make mosiacs. I have seen so many beautiful ones made from glass, clay, even pebbles and rocks... one of these days I will make my first mosiac.

What message, if any, do your want to convey with your art/craft?

I hope that my art conveys joy. I love to make beautiful, colorful, happy things that make people smile. It takes time to make art and to look at and appreciate art. It would be nice in our busy, busy culture if people understood how important it is to just STOP and look at our beautiful world. My daughter, Leah, is an amazing artist and I feel blessed that I was able to teach her to take the time to look and really see.

What advice do your have for other artist/crafters?

Get the education and technical expertise that you need for your art or craft and never cut corners with the quality and execution of your work. Create what you love and don't ever stop.

Tina, what a wonderful, creative talent you have! Thanks for taking the time to share your creations and your thoughts with all of us.

To learn more about Tina and her creations, be sure to visit the links below.





No comments: