Wednesday, July 8, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - CRAFTY MAMA DESIGNS


Turquoise and Green Mini Bow Clippies (Set of 3)
(CLICK on above photo to learn more about this item)

WELCOME, Aviva, and her Etsy shop, CRAFTY MAMA DESIGNS. Aviva's shop offers you a lot of colorful, fun hair clips and bows so your little princesses can always be in style!

Read below, to hear in Aviva's own words what her crafting means to her!

My name is Aviva and I'm a SAHM (stay-at-home mom) getting crafty in my "spare time"- ha! Mostly after the kids' bedtimes and into the wee hours, that is. I pay a lot of attention to detail and offer my crafty creations for affordable prices, because I just have so much fun doing it!

Flip Flop Sandal Hair Bow Holder

(CLICK on the photo above to learn more about this item)

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

I never thought of myself as a creative person, but I took a class on jewelry-making 6 years ago and was instantly hooked. I had the bead fever! Then when my daughter was born, I wanted to try my hand at making my own hair clips for her. I quickly caught a case of ribbon fever and my supplies multiplied, so I started selling them to keep up my habit! I love making accessories for her, and the best part is that she loves it too. Now she requests the clips that Mommy made!

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

My daughter’s crazy curly red hair was really the motivating factor! I had to get her to keep the clips in so the hair would stay out of her face. So I got creative and made cute clips that she’d want to wear! Luckily she loves dressup and accessories, and so it wasn’t hard to convince her! She’ll sometimes look through my stash of ribbons and then tells me which ones to use next, so I guess you could call her my muse!

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

I love the creation process, just looking over all my supplies, putting different colors and patterns together, and letting the ideas marinate. Then when the right inspiration hits me, I just start crafting! Also, for a stay-at-home mother of two little ones, there is also something very meditative about being able to focus on a task and actually complete it!

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

I’ll stretch this one and say- fruit salad! I love the summer fruits especially, and I can’t pick just one. I think it’s also very representative of my shop, since it’s a bit of an eclectic mix of the crafts that I enjoy most- from hair clips and bows, to jewelry, to beaded serveware. I like trying new things too, so who knows what’s coming next??

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

I think the next medium for me would be sewing. My talent in this area is pretty much limited to sewing buttons on my husband’s shirts, so I think the next step is taking a class!

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

I like creating things that are fun, whimsical and maybe a little bit funky, and I love trying different color combinations too. My message is to just have fun! I think the accessories we choose to wear can reflect our inner spirit and passion for life- just go for it!

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Be true to your own style! I sometimes get caught up in thinking what other people will like, and I’ve learned to just create the things that I like myself. It’s more enjoyable that way, and I think it reflects in my creations as well.

THANKS, Aviva, for a delightful interview! It is a pleasure to have you and your creativity here on DZFANTASY!

To learn more about Aviva and CRAFTY MAMA DESIGNS, be sure to visit the links below.



CRAFTY MAMA DESIGNS BLOG

FACEBOOK

No comments: