Monday, July 20, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - SCENIC NEW YORK

Beach Glass Christmas Tree Glass Tile Pendant, Christmas In July SALE
(CLICK on above photo to learn more about the pendant)


SCENIC NEW YORK is a husband and wife team, but in the interview below we will be hearing from Heather. SCENIC NEW YORK is participating in Etsy's "Christmas in July Sale", which runs through July 22nd, so be sure to stop by for a visit to see what they are offering. You will find a wide selection of beautiful items ranging from unframed photographs, beach lover gifts, pendants, mouse pads and more!


Zen White Waterlily Serene Photograph Mousepad, Christmas In July SALE
(CLICK on above photo to learn more about this item)

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

I've loved photography since I was a child. My mother encouraged me greatly. She not only bought me my own camera and film, but also took me on day trips where we lived in Pennsylvania so we could take photos (she is also an avid photographer). The other items in my shop are inspired purely by my love of the beauty of the area, especially the beach and lakefront. When my husband and I decided to start Scenic New York, we also decided to create crafts from items found around the state like beach glass and driftwood.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

For photography, I chose to use a digital camera simply because they are easier to find and the results are instantly available. For the crafts, I have collected beach glass (also called seaglass or sea glass) since I was a child, so using that in various ways just seemed natural. The driftwood fit well with the beach glass, and the other items just came along as we traveled the area taking photos. We did make a decision to use milkpaint as much as possible on painted products because it is eco-friendly and really has no smell when you're using it. It smells a bit like damp earth, and that's it.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

The travel. I love to see all the beautiful places in the state, even if I've been there many times before. The biggest bonus to this business is spending time with my husband traveling around New York to photograph the landscape as well as collecting materials like the beach glass. I do enjoy creating new products as well, and the challenge of trying to be unique.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

Hm. I've never thought about that! I would have to go with an artichoke, because there are so many layers to what I do.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

If I could, it would be painting. I can see so many scenes that I just can't photograph because I can't remove a specific item from the frame. If I could paint them, I could choose to include or leave out items as it suited me. I'm not very good at painting though, I've tried!

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

To stop and SEE the roses! I know it's a play on a cliche, but the main point we want to convey with Scenic New York is the incredible beauty of the state that surrounds us everyday. Sometimes it's not as easy to notice, so we try to "cut out" the distractions by framing a single item in the photo. It's amazing what's here that you'd never even notice as you go about your daily life.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Do what you love! Don't give in to trends or pressure to create something you don't like because you think it will sell. If you create something that speaks to your audience, they will pick up on your message and love it just as much as you do.
THANKS, Heather, for a delightful interview and for sharing your creations with everyone.
To learn more about what SCENIC NEW YORK has to offer be sure to click on the links below.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

a great find for panda fanatic!
my roommate and i LOVE this bag
hkpanda.freetzi.com

DZFANTASY said...

I don't see any panda bags out here!