Tuesday, December 2, 2008

FEATURED ETSY ARTIST - C LINE CREATIONS by JESSICA

KOI FISH

As a traditional Asian symbol, the koi fish symbolizes love and friendship. In fact, a Japanese homophone of the word "koi" literally translates to love and affection. Since the koi fish is such a great (and beautiful) symbol, it can be found quite frequently in Asian art!

by Jessica of C Line Creations


Welcome, Jessica (Jess) of C Line Creations out on Etsy. The beautiful Chinese brush painting above is just one of Jess's lovely original paintings. It is so very delicate and exquisite looking! After reading her interview below, be sure to visit C Line Creations to see what other delightful creations that Jess has to offer.


What led you to start creating your art/craft?


My mother actually used to paint, and she's the one who initially got me interested in Chinese brush painting. I picked up Chinese knotting a little later just as a hobby, and found that I really enjoyed that as well.


How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?


When I first began learning the very different technique of painting with horsehair brushes, I found that it quickly became comfortable to me. It actually became as normal for me to hold a brush as a pen! Painting really relaxed me, and I never found any reason to stop that style of painting.


What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?


I find that painting and knotting is very relaxing. It's also an amazing feeling to see yourself create something out of just scattered materials that mean nothing by themselves.


If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?


I would probably be a lychee, since it's a colorful-looking fruit, and is Chinese!


If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?


I actually always wanted to be able to make balloon animals, and other balloon creations. Not really sure why, but I think it would be cool!


What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?


I'd like to convey a sense of beauty and serenity with pieces that are not only nice to look at, but also have a deeper cultural side.


What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?


Definitely interact with other artists/crafters to get the most out of your art or craft! Other people are a great resource for advice, help, and just general encouragement!


Jess, thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts and exquisite art with all of us. I also love the simplicity and elegance of this Chinese knotting wall accent created by Jess. You can visit Jess's shop by clicking the photo or link below the photos.



2 comments:

Jess // CLineCreations said...

Thank you so much for featuring me! I really appreciate the opportunity, and I look forward to reading future posts on your blog!

The Muse said...

I can certainly see the lure in balloon making..as she is an apparently talented knotter.
Love her koi/goldfish...
Truly blessed in bringing the oriental flair to life.