Monday, December 1, 2008

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - ORIGAMI ORNAMENTS - Handmade origami and puzzle jewellery!


WELCOME, Liz of ORIGAMI ORNAMENTS on Etsy. You really have to visit Liz's shop to see the amazing creations she makes! It is really hard to believe that these delicate jewelry creations are made from paper. Quite an art! Below you can learn a bit more about Liz and her jewelry.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?


I learned to make origami when I was a kid, and have been making it ever since. At university, I used the student political flyers to make origami and pass the time in lectures. A couple of years ago, I went to visit my parents and ended up leaving many cranes around the house, so my mother suggested I do something useful with them. Then, a few of my friends who also make crafty things decided to start selling their wares at local markets, so I started to create and sell jewellery.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

I work mostly with paper, because that is the traditional Japanese way of making origami. All of the jewellery is on sterling silver, because I like to create high quality jewellery. (it takes so much time, quality is very important to me!) That said, I am also experimenting with plastic, liquid rubber, and fabric. Once I've finished with the experimenting phase, they'll be listed, so stay tuned.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

Seeing the finished product make someone smile. Even if the buyer is buying for a gift, it's very satisfying to know that people appreciate my work, and the effort that goes into making handmade items.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

A pineapple. Looks kind of strange and spiky, but up close it's fresh and sweet. (that was a really hard question!)

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

If I were to choose another way to express my creativity, it would probably be 3D art. Before going to university I did some tertiary level courses in 3D modelling and animation, and I really enjoyed being able to create and entire universe from scratch.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

That jewellery can be different, made out of things you wouldn't expect (paper!), and still be beautiful. The other very important message that I want to convey, to buyers and admirers alike, is to value handmade products. Handmade products contain so much more 'life' than mass produced ones, they are a joy to own.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Think outside the box. I know it's a tired old cliché, however I think it's really important to embrace your own creativity. Sure, you may think that new idea buzzing around your head is totally insane, but you'll never know for sure if you don't try it out!


Liz, I'm so happy you agreed to take the time to share your thoughts and origami jewelry with all of us. Below is another photo of a pair of earrings I thought were so delightful! Simply exquisite!


Be sure to pay a visit to ORIGAMI ORNAMENTS by clicking on the links below.


FACEBOOK

1 comment:

The Muse said...

Paper????
Oh my...oh my indeed!
That is just out of this world Cool!