Wednesday, December 17, 2008

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - Once Upon a Box

Handpainted Nature Scene Jewelry Box
by Barbara
of
ONCE UPON A BOX

Now who wouldn't want to keep their jewelry in this beautiful, hand-painted jewelry box by Barbara. It makes one feel good just looking at the lovely nature scene.

Barbara has other delightful boxes in her Etsy shop, ONCE UPON A BOX, so be sure to pay her a visit. These jewelry boxes would make very unique, one-of-a-kind gifts for any occasion!

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

My parents were both creative people. My mother was a part time actress, and my father was a painter in his spare time. Guess it rubbed off on me. I have always loved using my hands to create things as far back as I can remember.


How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

After art school, I worked in the textile industry painting large designs for sheets and comforters. My work that I do now is an extension of that experience.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

I find that I am most unhappy when I am not painting. I have a sense of peace when I paint and get excited when I think of a new design to try out.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

This is a hard question to answer, but I think I would choose an apple because after I eat one it gives me a clean crisp feeling which is the way I hope my designs look when I'm done.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your "creativity", what would you choose and why?

If I had to choose another medium,I think it would be clay because I love the way it feels in my hands and the way it's so malable.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

Nature is beautiful, and I hope that my work conveys this message.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

My advice to other artists/crafters would be to create what you love at all costs and listen to yourself, not other people.

Barbara, your work is truly delightful! Thanks again for taking the time to give us a bit of insight as to what makes you "tick" as a creative person!

Be sure to visit's Barbara's links below to see more of her work.


INDIEPUBLIC

FLICKR

3 comments:

Christie Cottage said...

Thank you so much for including my etsy mini to your beautiful blog. Your fairies are incredible!

I'll be sharing your link.

Thanks and have a Merry Christmas!

Alison Du Bois said...

Great interview - as always! Nice job!

Brn2lisn said...

What beautiful artwork, gorgeous!