Friday, December 19, 2008

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - NEEDFUL THINGS - by KRISHA

Welcome, Krisha and her Etsy shop "NEEDFUL THINGS"! Krisha's shop has a variety of items ranging from art dolls, jewelry, original photography, ACEO's and more. Most important is the fact that any item purchased from NEEDFUL THINGS....will result in a percentage going towards helping our four-legged friends who are in dire need of help. Be sure to visit Krisha's Animal Rescue Blog...I did and found it very informative and heart-warming! A lot of credit goes to anyone who helps out all the needy animals in this world!



What led you to start creating your art/craft?



I'm a journalist and write an animal-rescue blog, http://www.arkansasonline.com/rescue, for the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette. I wanted to find a way to contribute to a very special group of ladies at Out of the Woods Rescue. They go out into the rural parts of Arkansas where there is very little assistance for strays or abused animals. I didn't have a lot of time or money to give, so I decided to use my eclectic tastes and budding skills to relieve stress for me (playing with clay is a great way to blow off steam), and help out the rescue organization. The markup on the items in my shop is 25%, which is the percentage the animal rescue group gets. I just get the cost of the materials. My time is donated, but I don't know if I'd really call it a donation because it's such fun!



How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?



I was drawn to the magazine Art Doll Quarterly about five years ago. I find doll-making symbolic, primitive, spiritual. Memories come flooding back from when I was a child playing with my dolls, working out their stories as I create my dolls today. Immediately, I was drawn to clay because it's earthy. It somehow fits. If you believe in the Bible, Adam was formed of clay. Why shouldn't we form our own creations out of the same stuff? It's a difficult medium for me though. Drawing is my best artistic asset, but I keep coming back to clay, hoping that one day I will learn to master it.



What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?



I love creating the stories behind the works. My dolls always have stories. With my photography, it's the hunt for that beautiful photo of the day. With my magnets, I look for the funky, iconic and graphic. With my jewelry, it's picking out the components that go together. I just know which chain works with which pendant; at least it's obvious to me very quickly. I don't know if others would agree with my compositions. With my journals, I love the whole process: choosing the fabric, the book size, the special embellishments - always Swarovski crystals. With my sketches and artist's cards, I like the hunt for just what I want to express. I would imitate art I love - am thinking of doing it - but I'm chicken. So my creations are entirely original.



If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable to describe your work, what would you choose and why?



What an interesting question. I suppose I would choose a carrot because I love carrots, and they are a great inspiration for sculpture. Also, they grow deep in the earth but have fluffy lettuce hair. I remember plucking them from the garden as a child, and I loved it.



If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your "creativity", what would that be and why?



Goodness, I already work with clay, photography, fabric, yarn, beads, crystals, silver, copper, micah powder... I guess glass. Yes, I'd love to learn how to create stained glass like Frank Lloyd Wright's designs.



What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?



I'd just like everyone to know that they are helping a cat or dog in need when they buy from me. I also want them to know everything I make is very personal and dear to me. I make everything with great care and improve with every piece I make.



What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?



My advice to other Etsians is to promote yourself, not just on Etsy but offline as well. Order some beautiful Moo mini cards - you won't want to give them away - but you can create a collage for your house or office. Believe in yourself, but don't be pushy. Most importantly, make what you love.

Krisha, thanks for a very delightful interview, and for sharing not only your thoughts and work with all of us, but your Animal Rescue site and information. Great job! Be sure to visit Krisha's links below.

ARKANSAS ON-LINE - RESCUE IN THE ROCK Animal Rescue Blog

ALTERS - An Etsy Blog

No comments: