Wednesday, December 17, 2008

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - SILK ART FROM BRAZIL

100% SILK SCARF

WELCOME, MARIA and her beautiful hand-dyed silk scarves! Maria's Etsy shop is SILK ART from BRAZIL. I've always loved silk! I'm sure you will love the beautiful colors of Maria's scarves. Each one has exquisite color combinations!

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

I am a born artist, although it took me a few decades to realize it. Therefore, I have always created stuff, although I didn't call myself an artist. Two years ago, I left behind a career as a marketing executive, moved to paradise (I live in a tiny coastal art colony in the Northeastern part of Brazil), and embraced my artistic side full-time.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

I am a very curious person, so I have tried and worked with several media, in different times of my life. For the last 10 years, I have focused on paper and fabric and in the last couple of years Silk Painting has been my love.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

The fact that you start with a white canvas (in my case a white piece of silk), and you build on it, until you came up with a piece that is entirely new, and nobody else has done anything exactly like that before you. Isn't that amazing?

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

That's a hard one. I think it would be a watermelon, which is moist, refreshing and has bright and beautiful colors.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

Well, it would definitely be paper. Why? because when I work with paper I feel like I am back in kindergarten... So many papers, so little time.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

I also teach, and a lot of people think they are not artistic, or creative. It makes me feel really good when somebody in my classes are amazed by the piece of art they have created. The message I want to convey is "I can do it and you can do it too".

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Only one: go for it and always include new elements in your art. Learn several media and combine them. This gives you an outlet for your creativity and a uniqueness that every artist looks for.

THANKS, Maria for sharing your beautiful "silks" with everyone, and for a delightful interview.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Merry Xmas To you and your Family!
I just had to give you a shout I went to your site for a bit of a color fix and to see all your beauties ! God Bless You !!
Have a Happy New Year !!

Hugs and Prayers,

Debra G.