Wednesday, December 10, 2008

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - MARY JAYNE CARDS

I'm happy to have Meghan of MARY JAYNE CARDS on DZFANTASY as a featured artist. Meghans' shop offers delightful, handmade cards, and gift tags. After finding out a little bit more about Meghan, by reading her interview below, be sure to stop in at MARY JAYNE CARDS!

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

A friend of mine gave me a book that taught me how to make folded cards. Eventually I just combined that book with my love for scrapbooking. I've been making cards for a long time, but I just started selling them this summer.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

I love to work with paper! Shopping at scrapbooking stores is one of my favorite things to do. It's so much fun to find great patterns and textures. My only complaint is that paper scraps are hard to store.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

My favorite part of cardmaking is sitting down and making three sets of cards right in a row. It is very relaxing for me. I don't know what it is, it's just such a peaceful thing for me to do. I usually just put in a good movie or CD and start working.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable to describe your art/craft, what would you choose and why?

My work is like an apple. It's crisp and clear but also sweet!

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your "creativity", what would that be and why?

I've tried watercolors before. It'd be fun to try making some pretty cards using that skill. I don't think I'd be able to compete with the fantastic artists on Etsy, though!

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

The message I convey with my craft is simply "hello". I love the warm fuzzy feeling I get when I send (or receive) a card. That's how I want people to feel when they get one of my cards.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

The biggest lesson I have learned so far is to keep it simple. Too often I get carried away with paper and ribbon and buttons. Many times I've had to remind myself that just because something matches perfectly doesn't mean it has to go on the card! I'm not sure if this applies to every craft, but it's certainly true for me.

Meghan, thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and creativity out here on DZFANTASY.

Be sure to visit MARY JAYNE CARDS! You never know when you just might need that "special" card to send out.



No comments: