Wednesday, December 24, 2008

FEATURED ETSY ARTIST - NIMBUSNOVEM - Drawings and Stone Etchings


NORA - Original Clay Board Drawing
by Elizabeth

I just loved the artist's inspiration for her above drawing, so I have included it below:

One morning last week I woke up thinking of my great-grandmother, Nora. She and her husband, her sister and brother-in-law moved to North Dakota before the turn of the century. The land was so cheap as to be nearly free and they thought to farm there. They went by horse and wagon and the journey was long. They were hopeful, however, and I imagine it had to be at least a little exciting. As it turned out Nora hated North Dakota. The sweeping winds of the plains turned the fields into whispering oceans and she was at once seasick and homesick. She stayed long enough to give birth to my grandmother, then moved back to Ohio where she lived the rest of her days.I thought of her on the plains, looking toward the east under a full moon; the wind making a sea of the fields of grain and grass. I thought of how at nighttime, at least the moon would feel like a familiar friend (look closely and you'll see it reflected in her eye). I thought of her all a-twitch and at any moment ready to bolt for home.

WELCOME, Elizabeth and her fantastic drawings and etchings, which she offers in her NIMBUSNOVEM shop out on Etsy. The details are truly amazing! Be sure to pay her shop a visit to see all the wonderful things she has to offer.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

I've always loved drawing, but I specifically became interested in etching/engraving marble and granite when I worked in the memorial industry. It was quite an introduction, as I was immediately thrown into doing one custom job after another. I did cars, trains, portraits, landscapes, animals-- anything you can imagine. Scratchboard and clayboard became favorite mediums because I could use the same techniques as I use on the stone work.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

I love the permanence of stone. I really like the idea of catching an ephemeral glance of an eye or twitch of a bird's wing on something as eternal as marble and granite. Scratchboard and clayboard allow me do add color and really get into the details-- something I really love.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

I love the sound of my xacto knife scratching out the details on the board. I love when a stone piece is done and I can feel the eyes of my subject looking back at me.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

I think I'd have to choose an apple. A drawing a day keeps the doctor away!

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

I've really been wanting to make boxes and other containers that display some of my work and may be become works in their own right. In fact, I'm looking into that now and plan on offering some in my shop this spring. I studied sculpture for many years and I miss it! I may be getting back into that as well.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

I want people to look at my work and feel it look back. There is a feeling you get right in the center of your chest when you connect with an art work. I want to give this feeling to people.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Don't think your talent and skill ever leaves you. It's always there waiting for you to call on it and wake it up again.

Thank you, Elizabeth, for giving us a bit of an insight into your thoughts of being an artist, and also for sharing your amazing work with everyone! It is just exquisite! You can see more of Elizabeth's work by visiting NIMBUSNOVEM on Etsy, and TRUNKT



TRUNKT

1 comment:

Kim said...

Gorgeous etchings. I ablosuletly love how you do eyes, that bunny is fantastic!
Kim