Tuesday, December 16, 2008

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - SERENITY COLLECTIONS

COPPER DREAMS

Amulet bag by Debbie

I'm happy to have Debbie of Serenity Collections as a "featured artist" out here on DZFANTASY! I just love this artist's beaded amulet bags! I'm thinking I might just have to get one for my very own! They are all so beautiful that it is really hard to choose a color. Be sure to pay SERENITY COLLECTIONS, on Etsy a visit so that you can see for yourself how charming these bags are.


What led you to start creating your art/craft?

I first started selling my jewelry because doing it as a hobby, I was accumulating more than I could wear and I could not just keep buying beads for fun. Now I am trying to grow my business through my Etsy shop because I have become disabled, and can no longer work a regular job. Running my Etsy store not only will hopefully give me some income, but it makes me feel like I am still part of something. Being stuck, mostly at home, with no one around except my family is a bit strange after being in the work force, raising 2 kids by myself etc. Making friends on Etsy is a wonderful thing for me.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

During my teens I tried all kinds of crafts, drawing , painting, and mosaic work. I learned to knit and crochet and bead, I learned ceramics, actually earned my teaching certificate in ceramics, but the beading kept drawing me back. I would take up my knitting needles then go back to my beading needle, pick up a paintbrush then put it back for my beading needle, By the time I hit my 20's I knew beading was what I wanted to do.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

There are actually two parts to this. I love taking a tray with little piles of different color beads and ending up turning them all into one beautiful product, there is nothing more satisfying. I also like the way I can use my beading to get away. It does not matter what kind of day I have had, no matter how hard I worked or what went wrong or whatever has stressed me out, once I start working with my beads, my mind goes to a different place and everything else goes away leaving me peaceful and content while I work.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would that be and why?

I would choose a cluster of grapes on the vine. So simple, clean simple food. But look again, the subtle, deep colors, the glisten if they have dew, check out the drape of the leaves with all the differences in shape and how the vines curl so lazy and relaxed. My bags are so much deeper than a quick look, like a cluster of grapes.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your "creativity", what would that be and why?

I love polymer clay, hope to become more skillful with it as I practice.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

My jewelry tells a story, just as all peices of jewelry or even a bead does. They are all made with a purpose, for a reason, with a plan in mind.

I took the following paragraph from Debbie's profile on Etsy, as I thought it was really special, and would like to help spread the word.

"I have also just started a new project for my granddaughter. She is out to save all of the animals in the world, and has made it her mission to do all she can. I make sequin ornaments along with my jewelry and sell them year round. 10% of every ornament I sell will be donated to a local chapter of ASPCA in my grandaughter's name and she will be taking responsibility for all areas of this project other than making the ornaments. I want to get this information out to everyone because it is an important project to her and she is very excited."

THANKS, Debbie for taking the time to share your thoughts and exquisite work with everyone!


DEBBIE'S MYSPACE

No comments: