Thursday, December 18, 2008

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - FIBRESANTRIC



I am truly amazed at the delightful "knitted and felted" purses that this artist has created. One can only imagine the time involved to come up with such an exquisite purse as the one shown above. Be sure to visit, Sandra's shop FIBRESANTRIC out on Etsy, to see what other items she has to offer.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

My mom taught me to knit when I was 8, and I played with fibre sporadically until I got really serious a few years ago. My nephew’s birth inspired me to start knitting again, albeit mostly baby items, but I started designing almost as soon as I picked up the needles. I wasn’t thinking about selling at the time; so many ideas were flowing I didn’t know how to manage designing with output. So I spent a few years toying with the idea while still designing and churning out a few pieces for myself and family until I finally decided to give it a go.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

There wasn’t much other choice. I do sew a little, but knitting and felting are so much more forgiving. Knitting is a rhythmic, repetitive motion that entrances and helps to sooth and de-stress. If I’m going to have a second job, it’s going to be a (mostly) stress-free one!

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

Designing and experimenting come first for me. When the juices are flowing, the possibilities are endless.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

Hmmm. Banana. It’s a staple, available year-round and affordable compared to its pricier counterparts.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

Music is my first love. It evokes so many feelings and can convey innumerable messages. I’m never at a loss when trying to express myself musically, whether through singing, playing instruments or dancing.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

The handbag is the workhorse of my brand. I hope to show that knit and felted bags aren’t dowdy, unfashionable or out of touch. There are many wonderful designs out there that are functional as well as beautiful, and the workmanship put into this craft is well worth the price tag.

THANKS, Sandra for sharing your wonderful thoughts and wonderful creations with us. You can visit FIBRESANTRIC by clicking on the links below.
What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Just do it. If you don’t, the world will miss out on your talent.

No comments: