Wednesday, December 31, 2008

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - EVERYBODY ELSE


I love the whimsical look of this artist's drawings. What fun cards!

WELCOME, Melody and her Etsy shop, EVERYBODY ELSE. Read below to learn a bit more about Melody and her creativity!



What led you to start creating your art/craft?

All kids draw. When you're in preschool it's a given that you will spend a certain percentage of your life coloring, mostly on things other than paper. Most kids also grow out of that. I became obsessed.


How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?


Pencil and paper are just so darn convenient. I can draw anywhere. If I'm inspired I don't have to wait. Plus, I draw all the time so it's what I'm best at. I also use photoshop to color my cards, and I just love Photoshop because I can try out so many different ideas in such a short span of time.


What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?


I'm not sure I could choose! Seeing it all come together is definitely a big high though.


If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?


A peach, because it's so sweet!


If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?


Just one?! Probably photography. I love to take photos. I love the way photographing something can let us see it differently.


What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?


Life is fun! My drawings are almost always people, and they're almost always enjoying themselves. I've tried the angsty, soulful bit and it just doesn't work for me. Once I was in a cafe and I was upset and trying to draw something edgier than I normally do, and a girl in line peeked over my shoulder and cried, "Oh that's so dear!" What can I tell you? It was.


What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?


Have your own style. People really latch on to that and want to have more. Sometimes I try to change it up a bit. I'll copy other people's styles or try to do something different. Invariably people say, "But what about YOUR people?" On the other hand, always be growing. My style hasn't changed much since highschool, but it is a lot more polished than even a year ago.

Thanks, Melody, for taking the time to share your thoughts and delightful, whimsical work with us.

FLICKR

No comments: