Monday, March 9, 2009

FEATURED ETSY ARTIST - Mistress of Solace - Amber Pyke

Original Pastel Painting
by
Amber Pyke

WELCOME, Amber and her Etsy shop MISTRESS OF SOLACE. Amber not only has her original works of art in her shop, but also her photography prints, art work prints, and even some jewelry. As you will learn from reading her interview below, Amber has many avenues in which she expresses her inner creativity! Be sure to vist MISTRESS OF SOLACE and her blog to learn more about Amber.




What led you to start creating your art/craft?

Since I can remember, I have always been creative and drawn to art and aestetichs. Art was always my favorite subject in high school, and when I graduated it seemed natural to go to college for the Visual Arts. Like many, my road twisted and shook. Things didn't work out the way I had planned. I kept sketching and doing black and white work, but in 2006 something in me exploaded outward and I began to work with pastels. I am self-taught, and continue to seek out new knowledge.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

I feel like it just happened. Pastels are moody, intense, difficult at times, and perfect for the emotions I solidify through movement, symbolism and abstraction in my work. I already had the pastels I just hadn't used them yet, and when I did, I disappeared and the artwork showed up. I'm sure all you artisans know the feeling. We are just vessels for what we create. I chose photography as well because it brings me joy and a peaceful feeling. I love to catch those fleeting moments and the precision.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

The escape. How time melts away and you are free.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

I would decribe my art as an Acai Berry, because it works as an antioxidant for me. Its very therapuetic and cleansing.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

One other method? I do so many things... I write music, poems, paint, take pictures, I couldn't just pick one. For the sake of the question I guess I will go with music, because even when I was three, I was going around saying it was my dream. Music has also saved me and helped me through my injury I am currently recovering from. Oddly enough my injury helped me re-realize this lost dream, and my fiance and I are now co-writing music for our band! I still have a page from my pre-k book where I told my mom to write in that I was going to be a singer.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

I want to awaken something that would have otherwise lain dorment in the on-looker. It's important that the each person have their own reationship with each work I create. At the same time I hope to create works that are harmonious with truth, love and justice.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Just put one foot in front of the other no matter what. Everything happens for a reason.

Amber, I loved your answers, and it was delightful to have you here on DZFANTASY as a featured artist. It is always enjoyable to get a bit of insight into each artist, and learn what motivates them.

Be sure to visit Amber's links below.

BLOG

No comments: