Friday, March 6, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - Fleur De Irk by Ira Zelickman


Gorgeous Carnelian Necklace

by Ira Zelickman

I throughly enjoyed exploring Ira's jewelry shop, FLEUR DE IRK on Etsy. This jewelry artist has some very beautiful, distinctive and elegant creations....! You really must take the time to have a peek into her shop, where you will find a wide selection of evening necklaces, bridal collection, everyday necklaces, earrings, bracelets, rings and more.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

I really can’t say. I had this crafty itch as long as I can remember. There were different crafts along the way.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

My first seed beads came from a broken Czech necklace. The beads were black and white and I made an ornamental bracelet with wire. I was 7 at that time. It is hard to imagine this now but there were no beading books in 1970 in Moscow, so I invented different methods of beadwork myself. I use these methods to this day. It turns out many of these stitches are well-known and have a name. In much later years, I discovered internet shops with all the different materials and incorporated natural stones and pearls in my beadwork.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

I love finding the best decoration for a stone. I really enjoy seeing how a beaded setting brings out the beauty of natural material.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

It would be a pomegranate. Composed of small jewel-bright seeds and fit for a most festive table.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

Ceramics. I like it as much as beadwork, and one day maybe I will be able to bring these to crafts together.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

I think there is not enough beauty in our lives, and I try to create jewelry that will make women look prettier.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Go for your heart’s desire! Don’t allow fashion trends to affect your creations too much.

Ira, it has been a real pleasure to have you on DZFANTASY as a featured artist. Your work is quite beautiful! Thanks again, for sharing your thoughts and creativity.

You can learn more about Ira and her creations by clicking on the links below.



FLEUR DE IRK WEB PAGE

DEVIANT ART

FLICKR

LIVE JOURNAL (In Russian)

1 comment:

GrandmaMarilyn said...

Oh such beautiful work by a wonderful bead artist.