Tuesday, March 10, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - THE SPEECE COLLECTION

Bracelet Nesting Pretty Pearls, Lavender
by Pat

There is so much detail in the beautiful bracelet by Pat from The Speece Collection, that I have put the close-up photo and another photo showing the whole bracelet. What a gorgeous creation! One can tell that a lot of time went into its creation.

Let's welcome Pat, and her Etsy shop The Speece Collection! When you pay a visit to Pat's shop you will find some very exquisite creations ranging from earrings, bracelets, necklaces and more. Read below to learn a little bit about Pat and her work.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

Rocks, jewelry, rocks, jewelry......As a kid, I collected and saved my rocks mainly from the field behind my house, carefully saving them in an old bucket. I spent many afternoons dipping each rock into a pan of water and admiring the colors and patterns. Later, jewelry took over as an interest, and finally matured into the realization that a lot of jewelry is made from gems and minerals, and rocks --- all solid earth creations. Now I could work with both interests. But how? I joined a rockhound group, and during one of the shows, a friend was demonstrating how to make jewelry. I stood transfixed, admiring his ability and creations. He said, "Pat, you can do this!"Really? Yes... and so I did.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

After working with clay, jewelry components were light-weight, small, dry, and I could wear the outcome! I could also work in the house on cold days.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

I love looking at a pile of components and turning that into something beautiful. The entire process is satisfying, and I feel really good with the final results. If I don't, it's back to the drawing board until I am very happy with the outcome. When I think I might be done with a piece, I ask myself what can I do to make it better. When I answer that question, and act on it, then I know it is finished and ready for someone else. That is the most fulfilling feeling!

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

A peach. They are beautiful, tasty, filling and satisfying. I like to think my customers are happy and very satisfied with their piece, the piece that fills a need to complete their outfit.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your "creativity", what would that be and why?

I would choose clay sculpture. I've done this in the past. Clay is forgiving of mistakes in that you can just wipe them out and go forward until the piece looks right and wonderful in all its parts as well as in total. Sculpture allows changing directions in the middle of the process, as does making jewelry. Since color is not involved, it is possible to concentrate on form only.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

I want them to realize that the piece was made with great care, and that it shows. When one of my pieces arrives at its destination, I want the buyer to open the mailing box, slip off the ribbon and note, and with happy anticipation, lift off the lid of the gift box, and have a big grin on their face, and exclaim "Wow!".

What advice to you have for other artists/crafters?

I would advise others to find the creative outlet that satisfies them. Something that is enjoyable in every step of the way, that the challenges are not insurmountable, and that greatly satisfies them.

Pat, thanks again, for sharing, and for a really great interview! Your work is beautiful, and one can tell that you really love what you do...your creations certainly reflects it.


No comments: