Friday, March 6, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - SOAP THAT MAKES SCENTS


Karina of SOAP THAT MAKES SCENTS has some very delicious looking and sounding products in her Etsy shop. There you will find a wide variety of vegetarian soap bars, solid perfumes, shea butter lip balms, and much more to delight your senses! Be sure to pay SOAP THAT MAKES SCENTS a visit.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

I got the chance to go to England with my husband on a business trip. In between conventions and banquet dinners, the wives were starting to get bored hanging around the hotel so we found out about a soapmaking class and gave it a try. After that, I never looked back.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

Soap is something everyone uses and everyone needs. It'll never go out of fashion, or be a lost trend. I sell worldwide online, and meet many, many customers at shows. I truly believe that once you try handmade soap, you'll NEVER go back to store-bought soap again.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

Discovering new fragrances and essential oils. Everytime I get a shipment in of oils, I can't wait to rip open the package and inhale all of the goodness..and then I write down my thoughts and feelings for each scent in my soap journal (yeah, I'm a geek) and what combos I might like to try out. Scents do SO much for us. They invoke feelings and memories..think back to cookies baking, or the smell of pine...it just made you remember or "place" that scent, didn't it? That's what I want to do..I want to create a slice of life in every single bar.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

I'm loving these questions!! Wow..hmm...that's a hard one. I'd have to say an apple. Because it's fresh, invigorating, clean, comes in many colors, and is a very versatile fruit to work How'd I do? Ya liked that, huh? lol

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

Honestly I couldn't think of anything else I'd rather be doing. I know that sounds cliche, but it's the truth.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

That a lot of people stink in the world and we should all do our part to help clean them up...no, seriously. Really. Buy my soap for yourself or give it to someone who stinks.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Don't be afraid to go for it. If you see an opportunity to strengthen your shop, or get your name out there more, then take it. Do whatever you can to promote yourself without stepping on anyone's toes. "Ignore the hesitation that binds your hands. Use your imagination and take a chance. Why should we wait for some better time? There may not even be a tomorrow." ....is a lyric from a song written by Richard Marx. And it's so true. A lot of his songs have inspired me to be where I am today and to keep on going. I constantly have his music going in the background while I'm working.

Great interview, Karina! I loved your answers! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas with everyone.






BLOG

No comments: