Monday, March 16, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - NICKI LEIGH Bath and Body

MIDNIGHT POMEGRANATE - Creamy Bath Whip


WECOME, Nicki and her delightful looking and sounding bath and beauty products, which she sells in her Etsy shop, NICKI LEIGH BATH AND BEAUTY. You can also purchase Nicki's products in her ARTFIRE shop by clicking on the link below the interview.

When you visit Nicki's shop you will find creamy bath whips, body balms, lip balms, soap and more. Be sure to pamper yourself with one of Nicki's products.


What led you to start creating your art/craft?

I lost my job last April and could not see myself sitting at home, so I started planning and long story short, I got to where I am now.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

It was not the first thing that came to mind. I had been painting for years, but the market was falling. So I looked into making candles. I got pretty far, but after spending a good amount on supplies and testing, I soon found that was not for me either. Bath & body was next and is where I now stay.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

I love getting to play the mad scientist. Whenever I make a new product, I cannot ever be sure of the outcome. Even with a "simple" bar of soap, anything can go wrong. You learn early on to keep very detailed notes about everything you make and do.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

An orange. You can smell the lovely aroma before getting close to it and once you peel that tart skin away, all you are left with are the juicy insides. I also love oranges. It is also a fruit that can be used in many different recipes, such as bath & body. There are so many different kinds of products, that it is hard to just settle on one or two.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

My artwork. I actually do this as well, though I have not marketed it nearly as much as my bath & body shop. My artwork is a way for me to just let go. I do not take part in drinking or smoking, so this is my way to "deal" with whatever may be troubling me. I may also be having a very good day. Thing is, I can only paint when I have a very strong emotion.
What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

That it's okay to try new things, and as the world becomes greener and we all are looking to natural alternatives, it is possible to get great quality at a reasonable price.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Please, please research as much as you can about your craft as well as permits before you even consider selling your products. Be sure you follow all the FDA guidelines, especially for those who work with food and bath & body products. There are very strict guidelines for many crafts and it is best to know ahead of time what flies and what does not. Also, make sure your chosen name is not trademarked. Once you pick your name (if it is not your legal name), register a DBA (doing business as). That is what I did for my business. I was legal even before I started making bath & body products. I knew what I wanted to do. After reading everything I could, including how to do my own taxes, I was certain this is where I wanted to be.

Nicki, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to be a featured artist here on DZFANTASY, and sharing your wonderful products and ideas with everyone.

If you'd like to learn more about Nicki, be sure to visit the links below.



ARTFIRE

BLOG

TWITTER

FLICKR

2 comments:

Nicole Thomas said...

Thank you so much again for the lovely blog feature!

Tumbleweed Trails said...

What a great blog feature. I actually have that Etsy shop already saved in my favorites. Great to see you do a feature on their products.