Monday, February 2, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - SHANNON AMIDON

Damselfly Puzzle with Amethyst

by Shannon Amidon

I'm happy to have Shannon and her very unique artwork out here on DZFANTASY as a featured Etsy artist. Shannon has some amazing pieces of art in her Etsy shop, and I do hope you take the time to pay it a visit. I love how she has created wonderful pieces of art out of nature!

In addition to her interview, I have also included her "profile" from her Etsy shop, which gives us a bit more insight into this delightful, creative artist.

My artwork is described as photo-based mixed media and alternative process photography. My subjects often involve objects that I have found in nature or collected in my travels such as: feathers, seed pods, butterflies, and flowers. Using Xerox transfers, hand distressing, painting and other non silver techniques, I create unique pieces that reflect the mysterious and natural world around me. It is my intention to blur the lines between fine art and traditional photography by altering, layering and distressing my photographs. Through these techniques, I attempt to break through the boundaries of traditional media and conventional fine art by creating an experience that goes beyond the paintbrush and camera.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

My parents were both artistic and encouraged me to lead a creative life. From collecting and selling rocks I found in the yard, to dressing up my siblings (including my little brother) like fairies and photographing them, they have always supported me in all of my creative endeavors. From a young age, I had a passion for creating and exploring so it was a natural progression for my life.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

I have never been able to draw, paint or do any of the traditional mediums. For a long time that really frustrated me because I thought that was what made a person an artist. When I was dating my now husband, he had a professional camera with lenses he let me use and encouraged me to take photography classes. After discovering photography, I realized that I could easily express myself through it and I knew I found my medium. The need for texture, warmth and using my hands led me to alternative process photography and assemblage. Recently I discovered copper electroforming; it’s a process that combines my love of nature and science. It’s an exciting and time consuming process that I have been exploring and really enjoying for the past 6 months.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

Definitely the research and the actual process of creating. I usually work in series, so when I discover something that interests me, I do as much research and learn as much as possible about the subject. Then the actual process of creating each piece and honoring what I have learned is what I love even more than the finished piece.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

I think a pomegranate, it’s exotic but accessible. The multiple chambers with sweet little treasures that are difficult to get to but always worth it.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

I have always loved fiber and textile art and think it would translate my vision well.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

That things like rust, insects and seed pods can be beautiful. I want people to widen what their idea of beauty is. At first glance something might seem simple, strange or even go unnoticed, but if you look further you can always find something fascinating.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Don’t be afraid to do what you love, there will always be people who don’t like or care for what you do and that is their problem. You just have to keep creating, exploring, growing and being true to yourself as an artist.

Shannon, thanks so much for sharing your ideas and wonderful creations with everyone! It was interesting to learn something new, and to see what can be done using gifts from nature.



SHANNON AMIDON WEB PAGE

BLOG

1 comment:

Shannon Amidon said...

Thanks for featuring me! It looks great.