Wednesday, February 4, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - NEW LIFE DESIGNS


Shot Through the Heart Glass Heart Bracelet


WELCOME, Pam and her Etsy shop NEW LIFE DESIGNS. Don't you just love the fun, contemporary bracelet above with its glass hearts, and black and red colors! Pam has a wide variety of delightful jewelry...earrings, bracelets, necklaces and more. She uses one of my favorite beads in a lot of her designs...Swarovski crystals! They are so sparkly and fun!

Hi, My name is Pam & I live in Tyler, Texas. I'm a mother, wife, & a granny. I've been making jewelry about 4 years now, & I absolutely love it. My inspiration comes from life, culture,& nature. I love everything about it, from going to the bead store, being surrounded by all those gorgeous, shiny beads & finding that perfect bead or stone, to sitting down & creating something that's a little part of me. I've finally found my bliss!


What led you to start creating your art/craft?


It was sort of a roundabout way. I had always loved art as a kid, it was my favorite subject. As a young adult, I dabbled in this and that, trying crochet, cross stitch, drawing, etc. but, I never seem to find something that resonated. Fast forward to my early 50's, my boss in our office opened a boutique, where she started making jewelry to sell in her shop. I immediately became interested, (I think it was all the sparkle in the crystals, actually!) So, I bought a few books, tools, gemstones, crystals, and that's when I really got hooked. It kinda snowballed from there! I took several classes at my local bead store, and online, and I always get so excited when I learn something new that I can make.


How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?


It was truly love at first sight when I first got a look at all the gorgeous beads, crystals, stones, etc. that are out there. I go into my local bead store, and I just get mesmerized by all the beauty, I can stay in there for hours!


What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?


I think, while I really do love it all, my most favorite is when I actually sit down and lay everything out on my work space, and then pick up that tool, that's when time seems to stop for me.


If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft,what would you choose, and why?


This might sound weird, but I think I would say it's kind of like an onion, with every new technique I learn, or new piece I make, another layer gets peeled away and something even better is revealed.


If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your creativity, what would that be, and why?


Oh, that's a tough one. Hmmmm, I think I would like to try making glass or lampwork, or dichroic glass. Those pieces are so beautiful, I think that would be great.


What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?


I think the message I'd like to convey would be that everyone has a unique, creative spark inside, and it can only be expressed by discovering and uncovering who you really are inside. When you do that, (and it's available to all of us), that's when you can truly connect with people, like a language of the heart, so to speak.


What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?


First, pay no attention to the little man behind the curtain, the one who tells you, I'm not good enough, I can't do this, no one will like it. The only thing that matters is that you take the action, push past the doubt and fear, and really go for it! Oh, and also, have fun!

Thanks, Pam, for a great interview and sharing your creativity with all of us. Be sure to pay a visit to NEW LIFE DESIGNS, and also check out Pam's other links listed below. You just might have to treat yourself to a pair of new earrings, bracelet....or who knows what else might catch your eye!

BLOG

INDIEPUBLIC

ETSY TEXAS CRAFTERS PAGE

No comments: